Lost Agreement of Sale for Old Property - How to Register Lost Agreement of Sale for Old Property - How to Register

I purchased land on Agreement of sale about 30 years back, constructed a house, and lived there continuously. But I did not get the land registered in my name. To my bad luck, I have even lost that Agreement of Sale.

How do I get the land registered in my name now? Is it possible to get the property registered on the claim of adverse possession?

The previous owner (and his wife) has died already long back. But some of his sons are alive now (but some are deceased). Can they sign on Sale Deed on behalf of the previous owner? Should all of them sign on Sale Deed.

Please let me know if there are other options.

Thanks in advance

Adv. Sarika Khude

A.claim adverse possession,your title must be hostile to the recorded Owner/ s of the property. Hon'ble Supreme Court of India in its verdict had clearly stated that the possession of property by a person claiming under an agreement of sale pending execution of a registered sale deed is permissive possession and that such a person cannot claim adverse possession. Therefore,if you claim to be the buyer of that property,then you are not entitled to claim adverse possession.

The sale deed contains details of the transfer of property ownership from a seller (vendor) to a Buyer (Purchaser). Sale deed essentially renders the sale complete. Yes sale deed can be assigned but you need to have the signatures of the living wards of the owner and also the legal heirs of the dead wards.
Thank you.

Advocate Sinjari Bandyopadhyaya

A.Until and unless the property through registered Deed of Transfer be transferred,you cannot be the Owner of that property and property right,title and interest remain with the legal heirs and heiresses of the earlier Owner .

To claim adverse possession,your title must be hostile to the recorded Owner/ s of the property. Hon'ble Supreme Court of India in its verdict had clearly stated that the possession of property by a person claiming under an agreement of sale pending execution of a registered sale deed is permissive possession and that such a person cannot claim adverse possession. Therefore,if you claim to be the buyer of that property,then you are not entitled to claim adverse possession.

If you are willing to make registration now, then contact all the legal heirs of that deceased person for execution and registration of that Sale Deed in your favour. Please take note that deceased Owner's deceased children's spouses and children are also his legal heirs and heiresses for this purpose.

question iconAncestral property division (without papers)
Dear Client, firstly, We have to see what MCD tax papers contain then only it can said that whether it is eligible for sell or not. Secondly, if someone had not claimed the property from more then 1...
question iconHome Property -Issue
Dear Client, You can ask the LIC people regarding the same. If they want it then you need tp provide for it.
question iconRelease deed on Ancestral Property
Dear Client, According Hindu Succession Act daughters are equally partners of the property. But as your sister had signed that she does not need your father property then She, her husband, her childr...
question iconLand own
Dear Client, It is not possible to know the decision of the court so you would have to wait for the same.
question iconLegal Heir Certificate
Dear Client Your grand mother will not be considered as legal heirs for the property distribution. Hope it helps.