90,000+ Legal Questions Answered

Applicability of Serivce or Labor Bond for Foriegn Posting in a PSU Applicability of Serivce or Labor Bond for Foriegn Posting in a PSU

2 years ago

Hi, I have been posted to a foreign branch for 3 years after working for 7 years in a PSU after the selcetion and interview process. While sending to the foreign location I was to sign an Foreign Service Bond drafted by employer which was non-negotiable for discussion. I have signed the Bond and also agreed for other penalties if I resign from Foreign branch (Like relocation allowance, one time allowance and travel expenses). Also, the bond amount had GST applicable on it.
After my posting here, the company decided to put the branch under run-off in first 6 months and asked us to wrap up the branch operation asap. This triggered me to find a job in the local market here.
In the above scenario, if I now resign from Foreign Location, can you please answer follwoing:
1. What is the legal sancticity of Bond here, as the posting is merit based and does not involved any training cost asscoiated with it?
2. Since, I was posted for 3 years, I had signed the Bond but since now that the Branch is under runoff, isn't the contract is now frustrated?
3. Is GST even applicable on such Bonds which a compensatory allowance?
4. Are the incidental costs of sending me here such as relocation allowance, one-time allowance are recoverable?

A.I can understand you situation as I used to work for SBI which had similar kind of arrangement for foreign postings of the officers. Here are the answers to your question;
1. The bond is legally valid regardless of the process involved as you and the employer both executed it the intention of having it in place
2. The branch might be under runoff but you are supposed to get back to the Indian location after your stint.
3. No GST should not be applicable to such bond as that is not a service. At max stamp duty will be applicable as it could be executed on stamp paper.
4. They can be recoverable as per the policy of the employer or the bond that was executed.

The answers to the abovestated questions can be given only after referring to the agreement that was signed between you and the company. Please consult a lawyer and proceed accordingly.
Please rate my answer
Thank You

question iconVariable Pay Components - How to add Variable pay in offer letter and salary slips
Dear Client, Variable pay or compensation is determined based on two main factors – the employee's performance and the company's overall performance. An employee becomes eligible to get variable pay...
question iconlayoff as BU is closing
Dear Client, Apart from compliance with the statutory formalities required under the Companies Act, 2013 for the closer of the business of a company or part of it, the Company has to comply with the s...
question iconTermination
Dear Client, Termination without notice amounts to illegal termination and is defined as an industrial dispute under Section 2A of the Industrial Dispute Act, 1947 which also violated the mandatory p...
question iconFnF amount not received
Dear Sir Please approach the following authority or similar authority in a state The Office Commissioner of Labour Karmika Bhavan, Dairy Circle, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore-29. 080-29753078 labou...
question iconNo Leave Encashment - Worked for 18 plus years in the organization
Dear Client, Leave Encashment Rules for private companies vary according to their policies and local regulations. Each company has a unique leave encashment policy. Some may have a cap on the number o...