ask a question ask a question
Get Realtime Updates of your Request. Download Vidhkarya App

Ask a Question - Free Legal Advice

Q.Child custody
Administrative Law (420)
Adoption (118)
Advertising (45)
Animal Laws (38)
Arbitration and Mediation (38)
Aviation (15)
Banking (518)
Bankruptcy and Debt (171)
Cheque Bounce (377)
Child Custody (146)
Civil (1938)
Commercial (68)
Consumer Protection (544)
Contracts and Agreements (450)
Corporate and Incorporation (91)
Criminal (1517)
Customs, Excise (34)
Cyber, Internet, Information Technology (318)
Debt and Lending Agreement (76)
Debt Collection (138)
Divorce (468)
Divorce and Separation (1599)
Documentation (298)
Domestic Violence (543)
Election Campaign and Political Laws (20)
Employment and Labour (1038)
Environment and Natural Resources (29)
Family (1844)
Financial Markets and Services (89)
Government Contracts (51)
Human Rights (253)
Immigration (51)
Industrial Laws (51)
Insurance (67)
Intellectual Property, Copyright, Patent, Trademark (98)
International Laws (11)
IT Contracts (41)
Juvenile (17)
Landlord and Tenant (564)
Licensing (21)
Mail Fraud (14)
Maternity (57)
Media, Communication, Entertainment (16)
Mergers and Acquisition (20)
Military Laws (9)
Motor Accident (132)
Muslim Laws (56)
Outsourcing Agreement/Laws (5)
Partnership (56)
Police Laws (60)
Power of Attorney (74)
Privacy (89)
Property (2731)
Real Estate (400)
Registration (133)
RTI (110)
Sale (57)
Sale of Goods (20)
Sex Crime (136)
Sexual Harassment (6)
Sexual Harassment at Workplace (69)
Software License (4)
Tax (13)
Tax-GST (6)
Tax-Income Tax (22)
Tax-Property Tax (30)
Telecommunication (10)
Torts (16)
Transportation (49)
Trust and Society (NGO) (80)
Will (142)
Work Permits (30)

Q. Child custody

Placeholder image


posted 3 months ago

My husband and I are planning for a divorce and we have to decide on the custody of our 3 years old son. I heard mostly mother should take care of the child if the child is below years. I want to do that but my exhusband wants to keep the child and he is getting into an argument about this. I feel no safe when my son is with him because I know what kind of a person he is. How can I get the custody of my son and till what age I can ?
Share this questionShare Icon

Showing 4 of 4 Responses

A. Ma'am as per your query,
The general thumb rule is that the custody of the child is given to the mother till 5 years [She being the Natural Guardian] after that, the custody will be dealt on the merit of the case as to who can take care of the child both emotionally, mentally and [very importantly, financially] and with whom does the court see the bright future of the child. Also, when the child is aged enough to give his consent, his opinion will hold great value in the decision making of the decision of the court.
Hope this helped
Shreyash Mohta
If you liked the advice please rate me on the vidhikarya portal.

Found Helpful
Found Helpful
Share this answerShare Icon

Shreyash Mohta

Experience: 1 Year(s)

Responded 3 months ago

View All Answers
Reply Here

A. Dear Madam,
You can file child custody case and also entitled for alimony for you and maintenance for child. The child custody will be given to the mother and prime consideration will be welfare of the child as per following judgment.
Landmark Judgement pronounced by SC dealing with guardianship & custodial and visitation rights to parents and children stuck in matrimonial disputes

In a remarkable judgment dealing with interim custody of child suffering in parent’s matrimonial disputes, visitation rights and guardianship, a 2 judge bench of Supreme Court laid down various propositions of law while awarding the interim custody till final disposal by the trial court to the mother. The bench speaking through Justice Vikramjit Sen, lays down very sharp observations and examines various definitions of a ‘guardian’, ‘visitation rights’ and tests the issue from the angle of provisions of Hindu Minority & Guardianship Act, 1956 and Guardian & Wards Act, 1890.In a custody battle between estranged parents, a minor child, who has not completed five years of age, shall be allowed to remain with the mother, the Supreme Court has ruled saying that in such cases child should not treated as a "chattel". The court said that under Hindu Minority and Guardianship (HMG) Act, a father can be guardian of the property of the minor child but not the guardian of his person if the child is less than five years old.
The Court said that there can be no cavil that when a Court is confronted by conflicting claims of custody there are no rights of the parents which have to be enforced; the child is not a chattel or a ball that is bounced to and fro the parents. It is only the child's welfare which is the focal point for consideration. Parliament rightly thinks that the custody of a child less than five years of age should ordinarily be with the mother and this expectation can be deviated from only for strong reasons.


The Karnataka State Commission for Protection of Child Rights (KSCPCR)

Such Commissions are situated in Every State
Bombay High Court
Forum For Fairness In Education An ... vs Union Of India And 2 Ors on 2 May, 2016
Bench: A.S. Oka




Forum for Fairness in Education An NGO,


Union of India and Others. .. Respondents
5 Before we deal with the constitution of a State Commission, it will be necessary to make a reference to the functions and powers of the State Commission. Section 24 provides that the provisions of Sub-section (1) of Sections 13 and Sections 14 and 15 which are applicable to the National Commission are also applicable to a State Commission. Sub-section (1) of Section 13 of the said Act reads thus:

For full procedure contact me on mobile through Vidhikarya.
Rate me Five Star *
Please visit the following link.

Found Helpful
Found Helpful
Share this answerShare Icon
Reply Here

A. U should file children coustody suit . U will get it

Found Helpful
Found Helpful
Share this answerShare Icon

Rameshwar Dadhe

Experience: 2 Year(s)

Responded 3 months ago

View All Answers
Reply Here

A. You can check my profile to contact me so that we can further talk in detail of your matter. We will see into it.

Found Helpful
Found Helpful
Share this answerShare Icon

Arvind Tripathi

Experience: 28 Year(s)

Responded 3 months ago

View All Answers
Reply Here
Talk to a Lawyer
Post Your Matter
Request Callback
Contact Us