Vidhikarya Logo
Callback Request
Call Back Request
Track Your Request
Track Your Request
+91-7604047602 Legal Blog For Students Free Legal Advice Lawyer Login


A conversational piece about stamp duty refund in Maharashtra.

You won’t believe the incredibly large number of people that ask me this question, well not exactly in these same words but you get the gist. I am surprised that a large number of our populace is ignorant regarding the stamp duty refund procedure. There are many questions regarding the stamp duty refund process that needs to be answered, allow me to present the information in a Q & A format. Please take note that the information provided would be relevant for the state of Maharashtra as on March 2019.

Q. Could you get a refund of stamp duty amount before registration?

A. If you have paid the amount and did not register the document, then you must apply for the stamp duty refund within 6 months from the date on which you have paid the stamp duty amount.

Q. I want to cancel my registration, will I get stamp duty and GST refund?

A. Yes you must get GST refund, ask the builder, if he refuses, there is always RERA. If you have registered a sale agreement, then you must register a cancellation deed within 5 years from the date of sale agreement. Once you have successfully cancelled the agreement then you must apply start stamp duty refund procedure and submit the stamp duty refund application within 6 months from the date of Cancellation deed.

Q. What is the proof of stamp duty payment? I have a receipt from builder will it work?

A. No sir, the receipt will not work, either you must have a GRAS challan (MTR 6) or an ESBTR certificate (it looks like a stamp paper). You will need original copies of both for the procedure. ESBTR refund and challan refund are the same thing as stamp duty refund.

Q. What documents are required for stamp duty refund application?

A. The requirements are as follows.

Sale agreement (Original)

Cancellation Deed (This is a tricky one. Some offices accept only original copy of cancellation Deed

while some are okay with the certified copy.)

Copy of Pan Card and Aadhaar Card


NOC (if applicable)

Power of attorney (If applicable)

Refund Form


Cancelled Cheque

Q. Builder refuses to give me original document, is there a way out. He says he needs it for selling the flat to future customers.

A. He does NOT need original documents for selling the property further. Photocopies are enough proof and if required certified copies of Sale agreement’s and Cancellation Deed’s Index 2 are more than enough for future registrations. Kindly point it out the same to the builder and claim your documents.

Q. Will I get my original agreement back after stamp duty refund?

A. The original Agreement for sale and Cancellation deed are not returned by the state government. The original documents are returned only in cases where the stamp duty refund application has been rejected.

Q. Will I get the stamp duty and registration fees both?

A. If you have not registered an agreement for sale then you will get both stamp duty refund and registration fee refund. If you have registered a sale agreement then you will not receive the Registration fee amount.

Q. Will I get the complete amount or will there be some deduction by the government?

A. The maximum deduction as of today is Rs 1000/- (One Thousand Only)

Q. How much time does it take to get stamp duty amount back?

A. It takes around one month to three months, subjective to the amount and the office where you have applied for stamp duty refund.

Q. Where must I apply for stamp duty refund?

A. Stamp duty refund application has to be filed with the office of Collector of stamps of that particular district. Click here for the address for the office of collector of various district’s.

Q. Can my stamp duty refund application be rejected?

A. Yes if your documents are not in order, if you have failed to submit application within specified duration, if you do not meet certain stipulations then the stamp duty refund application could be rejected.

Q. Can I reapply for refund after my application has been rejected?

A. Yes, you may submit an appeal before the Inspector General of Registration in Pune.

Q. How do I get the refund amount? Do I have to be present in the office?

A. No, the amount is transferred in your bank account. They may call you to sign in the office though, when the refund has been granted. Once you sign on the treasury receipt then it takes another 10 days to receive the transfer in your account.

Q. I knew you had a motive, I guess now you will tell me that your service is so convenient that everyone should hire you for stamp duty refund?

A. No, not everyone could commission us for the procedure, stamp duty refund needs drastic followup, which means crazy man hours. Those who are way too busy or those who appreciate the kind of effort it requires for follow up sign us immediately. We try to help others by way of giving out information for the procedure and explaining details.

Q. Okay, how do you manage my documents, will I have to be present in the office?

A. Your documents are picked up from you home or office and you never have to set your foot in the government office, we take care of it all for you.

Posted On : July 12, 2020

Written By :

Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markCan I buy a Muslim property i am a hindu
Yes you can purchase that property until and unless that is Wakf Property. However,please take note that Muslim Law of inheritance is quite different than Hindu Law so it is necessary to scrutinize the title of the present Owners not only through the property searching but also after thorough legal studies of their inheritance in respect of that property.
question markUDS land can be sub divided?
Hello If the other onwer is mutually ready to sub divide the land area to become mutual owner then you could do so by going to the registrar office and divide the land and get seperate portion registered on your name. Thanks Please rate if you find this advice helpful.
question markHome Construction and land acquisition by govt.
Hi, If there is any future project relating to expansion of road, then the govt. can acquire your share of land for the project and demolish it. It is highly probable that your land would acquired by the govt. in future either wholly or partly depending upon the project. If you like my answer, please rate me.
question markProperty sale what necessary steps to be taken
Hello If all your property papers are perfect then you don't have to worry about anything. Just meet the buyer and sell the property only if you trust your buyer. After getting the token amount it would be suggested to enter into an agreement with the buyer in order to make the deal final and get it registered later after the varification of papers. Thanks. Please rate if you find this advice helpful.
question markDelay in possession of builder flat
Hi, A buyer can file a case and send legal notice to the builder for delay in possession under the RERA Act, 2016 or transfer their case from a CDRC to the State Real Estate Regulatory Authority. According to this Act, a builder will have to pay 10% interest on the value of the property for delayed possession of flats. Please rate my answer Thank You
Expert Lawyers in Real Estate Property Contracts and Agreements
D.O.E. : 6/2006
View Full Profile
D.O.E. : 12/2007
Mumbai suburban
View Full Profile
D.O.E. : 5/2013
View Full Profile
D.O.E. : 7/2016
View Full Profile

Please enter the text



Send your queries to

[email protected]
Consult Contracts and Agreements Lawyers from your City!
Post Your Matter
Post Your Matter to connect with the Lawyer online
Call 7604047602 for any assistance
Symbol for Lawyer
Find Lawyers by Location

Download the Clients App on

Vidhikarya App on Android Platform

Contact Details

[email protected]
505-A, Terminus Building,
Newtown, Action Area I,
Kolkata 700156

Download the Lawyers App on

Vidhikarya App on Android Platform

Certified by Startup India, DPIIT


Payment secured by :

PayUMoney PayPal net banking
visa master maestro
Celebrating 5 years