Unveiling the Inherent Powers: Section 151 of CPC Demystified

October 27, 2023, 11:35 am | Updated October 27, 2023, 5:52 pm IST
Unveiling the Inherent Powers: Section 151 of CPC Demystified
Listen to this article

Table of Contents


Section 151 of the Code of Civil Procedure (CPC) in India empowers the court with inherent powers to make orders as may be necessary for the ends of justice or to prevent the abuse of the court's process. This section acts as a reservoir of inherent jurisdiction for the court to exercise its discretionary powers in situations not expressly covered by other provisions of the CPC.

Section 151 of CPC Explained

Section 151 of the Code of Civil Procedure (CPC) grants courts the inherent power to make necessary orders in the pursuit of justice and the prevention of abuse of the court's processes, regardless of specific statutory provisions. This discretionary power allows courts to rectify errors, issue interim orders, set aside illegal orders, consider subsequent case developments, maintain confidentiality, rectify judgments, and revisit their decisions, all in the interest of ensuring justice and safeguarding the integrity of the legal process."

Under Section 151 of the CPC, the court possesses inherent authority to:

  1. Consolidate multiple suits and appeals, including those reaching the Supreme Court.
  2. Delay the hearing of pending suits when related actions are awaiting judgment, as established in Vetha v. Narayan.
  3. Stay cross-suits based on convenience, in accordance with the precedent set in Hukam Chand v. Kamalchand.
  4. Allow a defense in forma pauperis, following the example of Durga Sharan v. Nitto Kally.
  5. Grant restitution, independent of Section 144 of the CPC.
  6. Include or rearrange parties, including adding legal representatives for deceased appellants, as exemplified in Alabhai v. Bhura Bhaya.
  7. Consider applications from third parties seeking to join a case.
  8. Swiftly punish for contempt of court, such as in cases involving libel published outside of court, per the precedent of Surendra Nath Banerji v. The Chief Justice and Judges of the High Court of Bengal.
  9. Halt the formalization or enforcement of its own orders when the interests of justice demand it.
  10. Restrict a person through injunction from pursuing a lawsuit in another court.
  11. Annul an order obtained through fraudulent means.
  12. Remand a suit in cases not falling under Order 41, Rule 23, or Order 41, Rule 25, as demonstrated in Beni Ram Butt v. Ram Lal.
  13. Intervene when the execution of its decree deviates significantly from the decree's purpose and intent.
  14. Stay a suit, even when it does not fall under Section 10 of the CPC.
  15. Apply the principles of res judicata to cases not covered by Section 11 of the Code.
  16. Revoke and invalidate its own erroneous orders, following the precedent of Champa Devi v. Asha Devi.

Key points regarding Section 151 CPC

  • Inherent Jurisdiction

    Section 151 recognizes that the CPC may not explicitly cover every conceivable situation that may arise during the course of legal proceedings. Therefore, the court has been granted inherent powers to ensure that justice is done and that the court's process is not misused.

  • Wide Discretion

    The court's discretion under Section 151 is wide and not limited by specific provisions of the CPC. It can be invoked in various circumstances to prevent an abuse of process or to secure the ends of justice.

  • No Bar of Specific Provisions

    The existence of specific provisions in the CPC does not bar the court from exercising its inherent powers under Section 151. However, these powers should not be used to bypass or contravene specific provisions of the CPC.

  • Judicial Prudence

    Courts exercise their inherent powers under Section 151 sparingly and judiciously. They do so when it becomes necessary to fill gaps or to meet the exigencies of a particular case.

  • Examples of Use

    Section 151 can be invoked in a variety of situations, such as to grant interim injunctions, to amend pleadings, to allow additional evidence, to set aside orders obtained by fraud, to order costs, and to stay proceedings. Essentially, it can be utilized to do justice in the specific circumstances of a case.

  • Limitation

    Despite its wide scope, Section 151 cannot be used to override or bypass specific provisions of the CPC. It cannot be invoked when there is a specific provision governing a particular matter.

Limitation to Section 151 CPC

The exercise of inherent powers is subject to certain limitations, including:

  • They can only be invoked in the absence of specific provisions in the Code.
  • They cannot contradict or override explicit provisions of the code.
  • They are typically employed in rare or exceptional circumstances.
  • When exercising these powers, the court must adhere to the procedure prescribed by the legislature.
  • Courts cannot assume jurisdiction or powers not granted by law.
  • They must adhere to the principle of Res Judicata, avoiding the re-opening of issues that have been conclusively decided.
  • They can appoint a mediator to issue a fresh award.
  • Substantive rights of the parties involved must not be violated.
  • They can restrain a party from initiating legal proceedings in a court of law.
  • They can set aside an order that was valid at the time of issuance.


Section 151 of the CPC serves as a safety net for the courts, allowing them to take actions not explicitly provided for in the CPC to ensure justice is served and to prevent the abuse of legal processes. However, courts must exercise this inherent power judiciously and within the bounds of legality, always keeping in mind the principle that specific provisions of the CPC should prevail when they exist for a particular matter. To know more about Section 151 of CPC, contact a criminal lawyer in your area by typing on the search engine “lawyers near me”. For example, if you stay in Kolkata, search for a criminal lawyer in Kolkata.


  1. What is Section 151 CPC applicability?

    Section 151 of the CPC is applicable in situations where:
    1. Specific CPC provisions do not cover a case.
    2. Preventing the misuse of the court's process.
    3. Amending pleadings or documents
    4. Granting interim injunctions.
    5. Setting aside orders obtained through fraud.
    6. Adding, transposing parties.
    7. Allowing additional evidence.
    8. Reviewing court orders.
    9. Conducting proceedings in camera or preventing disclosure.
    10. Dealing with contempt of court matters, like libel outside court.

  2. What is 151 section?

    Section 151 of the Code of Civil Procedure (CPC) in India grants courts the inherent power to make necessary orders for the ends of justice and to prevent the abuse of the court's process, particularly in situations not explicitly covered by specific CPC provisions.

  3. Can a suit be dismissed under Section 151 CPC?

    A suit can be dismissed under Section 151 of the CPC if the court deems it necessary for the ends of justice or to prevent the abuse of the court's process. However, such a dismissal should be a rare and exceptional measure, and the court must exercise its inherent power judiciously.

  4. What is the remedy against 151 CPC?

    The remedy against an order issued under Section 151 of the CPC is to challenge it through an appropriate legal procedure, such as filing an appeal, review, or revision, depending on the circumstances, before the same court or a higher court.
Written By:


Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markAppeal against rejection of plaint Order 7 Rule 11 a and d Rw Sec 151 of CPC 2 Response(s)
Dear Client, 1. Maintainability of the Appeal (RA 87/2023) Whether the appeal is maintainable or not would depend on various factors, but generally, an appeal can be filed against an order passed by the Trial Court. In your case, the Trial Court had dismissed the suit under Order 7 Rule 11(a) & (d) of the Code of Civil Procedure (CPC) and Section 151 of CPC. Section 96 of CPC allows for the filing of appeals against decrees passed by a court. However, if the Trial Court's order falls within the category of interlocutory orders (orders that do not finally determine the rights of the parties), it may not be directly appealable under Section 96. Instead, you may need to file a separate application under Section 115 of CPC for revision or pursue other appropriate legal remedies. Whether the appeal is maintainable will depend on the specifics of your case, the nature of the order, and the grounds for the appeal. A lawyer can provide you with more specific guidance after examining the details of your case. 2. Grounds for Respondents to Contest the Appeal If the plaintiff has filed an appeal (RA 87/2023), the respondents (defendants) have the right to contest it. The grounds on which the respondents can contest the appeal may include: a. Challenging the validity of the appeal itself, such as arguing that it is not maintainable due to procedural issues. b. Contesting the merits of the case by arguing that the Trial Court's order under Order 7 Rule 11(a) & (d) was correct, and there were valid reasons for dismissing the suit. c. Presenting any additional legal or factual arguments against the appeal. It's essential for the respondents to be represented by legal counsel who can assess the appeal grounds and build a strong defense. 3. Appeal against Rejection of Plaint under Order 7 Rule 11(a) & (d) R/w Sec 151 of CPC An appeal is generally possible against orders that have a substantial impact on the rights of the parties. If the Trial Court rejected the plaintiff's suit under Order 7 Rule 11(a) & (d) and Section 151 of CPC, and this order is considered to be a decree or a final order, then the plaintiff may file an appeal against it under Section 96 of CPC. However, as mentioned earlier, whether the appeal is maintainable depends on the specific details of the case, and it's essential to consult with a qualified lawyer who can provide guidance based on the specific circumstances and the nature of the Trial Court's order.
question markWhat is section 141 of CPC. 1 Response(s)
Dear Client, Section 141 of CrPC states the procedure for when an order becomes law and the penalties for disobedience. When an order has been made absolute in accordance with sections 136 or 138, the Magistrate is required to notify the person against whom the order was made of the same and to further require him to perform the act directed by the order within a time to be fixed in the notice, as well as to warn him that, in the event of his disobedience, he will be subject to the penalty provided by section 188 of the Indian Penal Code.
question markRegarding DV and RCR(Restitution of conjugal right) 6 Response(s)
Dear Sir, 1.Once I get any order for child visitation in DV , after that I want to apply : daily video call with child , Child birthday , other festivals , shall I use sec 26 of HMA in my RCR case as IA or to use CPC - 151 Ans: You can use CPC 151. You can implement visitation order. 2. Shall I use CPC 151 in Dv case also for any child related visit or documents request like child health chart, vaccine report, schooling etcc. Ans: But it may be rejected. 3. My wife is holding my educational certificates and not agreed to give to me , I have mentioned in my RCR case before 2 years , also gave complaint against her in PS , she said not having . Now | don't want to apply for certificates missing complaint in police station , because everywhere I said she is holding - so shall I use CPC 151 in RCR case to request Judge to retrieve Certificates from wife or get order to issue for duplicate certificates. Ans: Such applications will be rejected. Better approach High Court. 4. She is holding other valuable items in her custody and not ready to return, in addition to that I have registered 2 plots in her name half in my name (Joint property) I paid complete amount in 40 days of marriage I bought. So shall I file section 27. Of HMA(Disposal of properties) as a IA in RCR case. Ans: You can file complaint under section 406 of IPC. 5. Child age is 2.5 years now, when he attain 3 years I have to arrange schooling in Anganwadi pre-school for kids, how to proceed mutual agreement with wife for child education. She definitely want to Harrase me and extract money in the name of child, she would want to join the child in economically rich school . How to avoid that. Ans: Keep aside sentiments and allow Your wife to rear the child. 6. I wan to apply GWA sec 25 , shared parenting - shall I ? Ans: It is better option.
question markWhat is Inherent power of court in DV ACT 5 Response(s)
Hi, The meaning of ‘inherent’ is existing in something as a permanent, absolute, inseparable, essential, or characteristic attribute. Inherent powers of courts are those powers that may be applied by the court to perform full and complete justice between the parties before it. This power is said to be the inherent power that is maintained by the court, though not conferred. Section 151 of the Civil Procedure Code deals with the inherent powers of the court. If you find my answer helpful then kindly rate me.
question markMeaning of Filed IA 4 filed U/S 151 of CPC for extension of TI 1 Response(s)
Dear Sir, The other party/defendant is allowed to file written statement and temporary injunction order is extended till next date. Take second opinion of legal expert.