Divorce cases- Converting from contested to mutual- a beneficial step for the litigants.

Posted On : May 26, 2021
Divorce cases- Converting from contested to mutual- a beneficial step for the litigants.
Converting a contested divorce case to mutual a welcome step for both the parties as this brings down the heartburn and pain between then the families and large. The courts do welcome this step and should be done and allowed whenever the litigants want it to be done.
Listen to this article

Table of Contents

Marriage is social institution which was conceptualised to bring in stability to the union of two humans, a male and female, so that they can start and carryon the family together. All the cultures have elaborated processes to affect marriage and this shows how marriage has been an important aspect of all civilizations across the globe. The rule makers understood the importance and gravity of this aspect of human society and thus almost parallelly in every culture we have more or less similar ways to tie two individuals together at the altar of marriage.

The marriage process and rituals were created by the wisemen, priests and elderly of the earlier society and with the codification of the laws and rules two individuals can unite and marry by following the prescribed rules and procedures. Thus, there are two ways to validate a marriage in Indian scenario- one by following the established rituals under the traditions of that society/caste/culture and second by following the legal procedure under the applicable laws. For getting married under the provisions of laws one has to be apply to Marriage Registrar as per the laws, governing the individuals, like Hindu Marriage Act or Special Marriage Act.

While marriage can be affected by both tradition and law the dissolution of marriage can only be affected through the mechanism of law. The reason for not allowing to have dissolution apart from the legal process is that if allowed then it can lead to arbitrariness and chaos in the society. Since marriage is an important pillar of civilized society hence strong rules and laws are made to control and allow the breaking of marriage. A broken marriage can create multifarious problems affecting the wife, husband, children and in-laws from both sides. It can have debilitating effect on the growing children causing mental trauma. The Courts in India and especially District and Family Court in Kolkata (where we practice) it’s been regularly observed that the courts pay attention to minute details in divorce cases to ensure that no arbitrary order is passed. In my personal experience I have observed that judges in Divorce cases in courts like Barasat, Barrackpore, Alipore and Family Court Calcutta take kin interest in sending the parties for mediation which might allow them to have a relook to the case and their relationship. It’s heart warming to see that the legal fraternity is more inclined in saving the marriage and thus the society at large than to let it degrade.


Contested versus Mutual

The District Courts in Calcutta and in nearby Courts like Barasat, Alipore, Barrackpore etc are witnessing a rising trend in divorce cases. On an average 500 plus cases are being filed per month and this shows that how this social institution is fading away with society getting more modern. Sadly, most of the cases are contested divorce cases where one party alleges certain wrongdoings and allegations to the other party and seek dissolution of marriage on that basis. Cruelty, both mental and physical, is the topmost reason for filing a contested divorce case in Kolkata.

When a contested divorce case is filed in a District or Family court then one needs to understand that it has to go through all the stages like a trial case. That means on an average the time taken for final order, considering the large volume of cases and procedure to be followed, can be more than 2-3 years. And if one of the parties is not cooperating then it can get elongated too.

In contrast to the contested petition the mutual consent divorce is fast, swift and has lesser hassles. A mutual consent divorce (MCD) on an average can be closed in 6 to 12 months depending upon the cooling off period being done away. It is common knowledge that filing and moving MCD is always beneficial and less painful added with the fact that it causes less financial burden as litigation cost.


Conversion of Contested to Mutual Contest

Many a times when a contested divorce case is filed and parties have undergone the heat of the case, they do realize that it is not worth to fight it out in courtroom. To stop further mudslinging and mental torture they do decide to go ahead with mutual consent and dissolve the marriage fast. Once the parties have decided to let go the contested petition and move ahead with MCD then there are two ways to do it;

1.     Withdrawal application under Order xxiii Rule 1 of CPC:

The petitioner can move an application under the above provision to withdraw the original contested petition and then file an MCD petition along with the other party for dissolution of marriage. This will be a twostep process- one to withdraw the original case, two to file a new case.


2.     Joint petition for conversion of contested petition to mutual consent divorce petition:

While the contested case is going on both the parties (husband and wife) can file joint petition under the same case to convert the contested petition into an MCD. The District Courts have discretionary powers to convert the case when a joint petition is moved by the parties. Hon’ble Calcutta High Court in Rajesh Lakhotia vs. Smitha Lakhotia, C.O. 3672 of 2013, clearly mandated that the District and Family Courts have all the discretionary powers to convert a contested divorce petition into mutual consent divorce when approached by both the parties.


When litigants have arrived at a conclusion that marriage cannot be subsisted further and contested case is causing damage to the family then they should approach their Advocates and seek their guidance in converting the case to MCD. That would certainly bring respite to many.

Written By:
Abhimanyu  Shandilya

Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markSeek advice on filing contested divorce 3 Response(s)
Hi, In India, divorce will be granted even of there is no mutual consent. In your case, cruelty and mental torture can be used as grounds. If you found this helpful, please rate us.
question markmutual divorce to contested divorce 4 Response(s)
Hi, As per your input it seems that you have been tricked. It is advisable to get a new lawyer and file an application regarding the actions of your along with proof that she has transferred the flat in her name.
question markMutual divorce 6 Response(s)
Aap mutual divorce dakhil kar sakte hai. Or petition me sab conditions draft kar sakte hai. Children ke baare me likh sakte ho. Children hai to uski dekh rekh ka conditions to likhni padegi. Rahi baat ek must dhan rashi ki to aap usko us din de jis din court dono paksho ke bayan likh le or file ko order ke liye fix kar de. Advocate nhi sun raha hai to aap change kar sakte hai. Ya bar Association ko complaint kar sakte ho. Ki advocate sahi guide nhi kar raha h.
question markConverting contested divorce to mutual consent divorce 5 Response(s)
Dear client, This depends on mutual request through appearing respective advocates before court for filing common petition before court , duly signed by parties with affidavits and advocates. Thanks
question markWife filed 498A, DV cases now want mutual consent divorce, return articles 2 Response(s)
Dear Client It is very important that you take all the steps careful as criminal cases are filed against you and unless they are quashed or settled you should not agree for the MCD as its done once then you may have to still fight those cases. 1. It is not advised to file for MCD without mentioning the other related case and specially that the wife has agreed to withdraw those cases. 2. Yes, its ok to take back but put all that in the MCD petition to be safe. 3. Nothing can be done about it as lower and trial courts are not enabled for virtual hearing. Just wait for this third wave to get over.