Formula One Racing Income Taxable in Inida

Posted On : April 26, 2017
Listen to this article

Table of Contents

The Supreme Court in the case of Formula One Championship vs Commissioner of Income Tax ( Civil Appeal No. 3849 of 2017), has ruled that income incurred by the Formula One World Championship  (FOWC) will be taxable since it has a permanent establishment in India. The FOWC contended that the consideration paid or payable by the JAYPEE to FOWC is royalty under the DDTA and that the FOWC did not have any permanent establishment in India.  This argument was rejected by the a bench compromising of Justice AK Sikri and  Justice Ashok Bhusan .The court read Section 92F of the Income Tax Act, 1960 along with Article 5 of the Double Taxation Avoidance between India and United Kingdom, and came to the conclusion that the FOWC has a permanent establishment in India and thus their income is taxable. The Court however added that the portion of income of FOWC, which is attributable to the said permanent establishment, would be treated as business income of FOWC and only that part of income deduction was required to be made under Section 195 of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Written By:
Yugantar Singh Chauhan

Yugantar Singh Chauhan

Next Reads
Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markProperty Tax Calculation Formula 8 Response(s)
Dear Sir, I have already responded. Property tax depends.The rate of property in Nariman Point in Mumbai is different from Shaniwar Peth in Pune. The Property tax goes to the Government. What is the objective of your verification? Is the Officer charging you more, or your neighbour less or you want to make a comparison between the cities? Better Engage a local Lawyer to do the job for you. Thanks. yours sincerely, Shanti Ranjan Behera, Advocate through
question markUnequal distribution of business share among brothers 1 Response(s)
Dear Sir, Due to lack of time I am unable to read your lengthy narration followed by questions better go to local lawyer with required documents and clarify all your doubts once for all.
question markproperty tax calculation formula for pune through RTI 6 Response(s)
Dear Sir, Step I- You need to go to the Office ... where your property tax is calculated. Step II-Identify the Dealing Clerk /Office Superintendent (if needed) to tell you the principle. The concerned clerk will tell you and show you and calculate before you to convince you. Step III- If this does not work , then go the Officer and talk to him/her. Step IV-If you fail to do, lodge a complaint. Step V- Hire a Lawyer to do the job for you. Remember_ Laws are not Mantra... Every thing is written in black and white.You can see , read and you can also object. Any question at this stage? Yours truely, Advocate through
question markBenefit of Early Redemption on ULIP Taxable 2 Response(s)
Hi, The income received from reliance is to be added under the heading income from capital gains and deduction under Section 80C is allowed for the investment made in ULIP. An Individual can claim a deduction for the investment made for himself, spouse or children (dependent or independent) and HUF can claim a deduction for the investment made for any member of HUF. If you like my answer, please rate me.
Expert Lawyers in Tax-Income Tax