How Tourist Visa Can Be Converted to X/Entry Visa

Posted On : November 13, 2019
How Tourist Visa Can Be Converted to X/Entry Visa
An entry or X visa is essentially for Indian citizens with foreigner spouses. Since its an entry visa one may not work in India as an entry visa holder. Foreigner spouses on the other hand may not apply for a spouse visa to enter India either.
Listen to this article

Table of Contents

If a foreigner is married to someone whose domicile is in India one cannot apply for a spouse visa as there isn’t any scope to avail the visa. The question then arises as to how a foreigner spouse can enter India.   The visa category for Indian citizens with foreigner spouses is an X visa which is essentially entry visa exclusively for taking up residence in India. The X visa is not in lieu of a work permit and one is barred from working with an X Visa and if one does work then one would be violating the law and working illegally.

Those visiting India along with their spouse on a tourist visa, it is convertible into X visa or Entry visa so as to remain in the country for longer timescale. The X-visa is for individuals accompanied by their spouse visiting India on the student, employment or any other type of visa for the long term. If one is in India already and intends on transforming one’s visa from tourist to Entry, then, in that case, one most definitely can while be residing in India. The process, however, is long-drawn and therefore the conversion ought to be planned accordingly.

Besides, if one has an Indian lineage, one can extend one’s stay in the country by applying for this visa.

Eligibility criteria for conversion to Entry Visa from Tourist Visa

Every person visiting India on a tourist visa is not eligible to apply for the X-visa however there are a few criteria that need to be fulfilled to ascertain whether one is eligible for the conversion. and they are:

  • A visitor to India on a tourist visa is an Indian by birth. An Indian passport holder or is either the child or the grandchild of a person whose nationality is Indian
  • If ancestors were permanent residents of India then one would qualify to apply for X visa
  • If one spouse is an Indian citizen then the other spouse can apply for an entry visa directly from their country of origin or alternatively while visiting India as a tourist. If the parent of a child is of Indian origin then the child can apply for X visa if they are permanent residents of a foreign country. However, the parent must be an Indian passport holder.

Steps for Converting Indian Tourist Visa To Entry Visa

  • First and foremost, one ought to check whether one is eligible to apply for the entry visa
  • An online form ought to be filled up on the Indian Bureau of Immigration website
  • Next, the FRRO online form is needed to be duly filled and an appointment scheduled with the FRRO authorities after the form is verified
  • One ought to provide the proof of marriage/relationship to the FRRO for drilled-down investigation
  • The concerned authorities will perform a background check for winding-up of the process
  • According to the background check, the applicant will either be accepted or rejected
  • If the application is accepted, the application will be referred to the Ministry of Home Affairs and a cross-check will be performed.
  • If the application is approved by MHA, the passport will have an X visa or Entry visa. stamping

Process Alteration

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) used to regulate the conversion of tourist visas to X-visas at one time. In 2012 all of that changed and since then the applications are reviewed by the Foreign Regional Registration Office (FRRO) of MHA.

These days a visit to the nation’s capital is unnecessary as the application has to be sent online through the FRRO official website: Once the application is submitted a verification will be done by the concerned FRRO authorities and an appointment scheduled to one’s local FRRO. The status of the application can be tracked online quite seamlessly.

Call 7604047601 for consultation with registered expert immigration lawyers on Vidhikarya.

Written By:
Avik  Chakravorty

Avik Chakravorty

Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markUk visa 2 Response(s)
He should apply for prospective entrepreneur to avoid future hassle.
question marktaxes for non-residents - I came from Russia on a tourist visa 1 Response(s)
Dear Client, NRIs have to pay income tax on income earned in India. NRIs have to pay tax on income that accrues or arises in India. NRIs also need to pay tax on income which is deemed to accrue or arise in India. Money received or deemed to be received in India is taxable.
question markNRI Child Status in India 2 Response(s)
As per law father is the natural guardian of child above 5 years. Fluency in English does not mean that person is intelligent and sane. Many people like from china, Japan, USSR, Israel etc uses translator to communicate. 1. Since child is born in India hence till 18 he can have be Indian citizen or be Australian citizen and on attaining 18 child shall have option to choose citizenship of either country. 2. Yes. 3. Yes. On attaining 18 years he shall have option to choose citizenship of either country. 4. You cannot stop a person from filing case but you have right to defend and also to take precautions to save yourself from such frivolous cases.
question markStudent visa issue 4 Response(s)
Yes . U should apply another visa for educational purposes.
question markMarry in India and applying X- Visa for my Spouse. 1 Response(s)
Dear Sir, Please ask your questions to concerned experts.