Laws Related to Registration of Property Transactions in India

Posted On : July 19, 2019
Laws Related to Registration of Property Transactions in India
This is a comprehensive blog that discusses the laws related to the registration of property transactions in India in general. The blog also covers the documents that are needed for mandatory registration purposes, procedure and documents required for Registration of Property, the time limit, and fees to be paid for property registration and last but not the least the legal consequences of non-registration of property.
Listen to this article

Table of Contents

In the case of immovable property, mandatory registration of property purchase and sale documents are essential ensuring proof of ownership, fraud prevention and assurance of title.

Under The Indian Registration Act, there is legislation for property registration in India known as the law of registration of documents that makes it a mandatory requirement to register key documents for the recording of evidence, fraud prevention and assured title transfer.

Property Documents Necessitating Mandatory Registration

Registration of property or property registration in India in accordance with Section 17 of the Registration Act, 1908, is mandatory in case of transactions involving immovable property sale for an amount in excess of Rs. 100. What this essentially means is that all immovable property sale transactions must be registered since a mere Rs. 100 cannot possibly be the purchase price of immovable property. Furthermore, a gift of immovable property, as well as lease for a period in excess of 12 months are essentially transactions that require registration.

In special circumstances, if any of the parties to the transaction is unable to be physically present at the sub registrar's office, then, in that case, any of its officers may be deputed by the sub-registrar for acceptance of the registration documents at the buyer’s residence. Included in ‘immovable property’ are land, buildings and any attached rights to these classes of properties.

Procedure and Documents Required for Registration of Property

As registration of property documents are mandatory it's worth knowing what the procedure for registration of property entails. Firstly, the documents have to be submitted to the office of the Sub-Registrar of Assurances within the jurisdiction of the location of the transferrable property by the property lawyer.

Thereafter both the authorized signatories of the seller and the purchaser, need to be physically present with their proof of identities including Aadhar card, PAN card or any other government authority issued ID proof along with two witnesses, for the purpose of registration of property documents.

All designated authorized signatories ought to produce the power of authority if in case they are representing someone on their behalf.  If however, in the case of a company the company is one of the parties in the agreement, the company representatives ought to have all necessary documents with them including the letter of authority, and along with that a copy of the company board’s resolution granting authority to execute the registration.

The designated authorized signatory ought to show the property card to the sub-registrar and in addition to that all original documents and proof that stamp duty has indeed been paid. Prior to registration of property documents, verification would be done by the sub-registrar as to whether or not the required stamp duty for the property has been paid, according to the ready reckoner for stamp duty.  Any deficit in the stamp duty would result in the registrar declining registration of property documents.

Time Limit and Fees to be Paid for Property Registration

All documents that need mandatory registration ought to be presented by the property lawyer no later than 4 months from their execution date along with the prescribed fee. In the case of expiry of the time limit, an application can be made to the sub-registrar to condone the delay, and that with an extension of time of another 4 months the registration of property documents would be submitted to the sub-registrar within that time. The registrar may consent to register documents that missed the registration deadline for a hefty fine of up to ten times the actual registration fee. For the registration of property documents, the fee is 1% of the property’s value, capped at Rs 30,000.

Previously, presenting registration of property documents for registration of property would result in returning the documents to the sender after six months. Nonetheless, with the sub registrar's offices being computerized, the documents with the registration number and proof that the registrar has indeed completed the registration are first scanned and then returned to the sender on the very same day.

Consequences of Non-registration of Property

If the property purchase agreement remains unregistered then it could be very risky for the buyer of the property. Since it’s mandatory for all documents to be registered but if they remain unregistered then those unregistered documents cannot be presented as proof in a lawsuit.  

Written By:
Avik  Chakravorty

Avik Chakravorty

Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markCriminal IPC 420 3 Response(s)
Hi, As more than enough time has passed to conclude any investigation, you can make a fresh application to the High Court to quash the case under Section 482 CrPC. If you found this helpful, please rate us.
question markNRI Child Status in India 2 Response(s)
As per law father is the natural guardian of child above 5 years. Fluency in English does not mean that person is intelligent and sane. Many people like from china, Japan, USSR, Israel etc uses translator to communicate. 1. Since child is born in India hence till 18 he can have be Indian citizen or be Australian citizen and on attaining 18 child shall have option to choose citizenship of either country. 2. Yes. 3. Yes. On attaining 18 years he shall have option to choose citizenship of either country. 4. You cannot stop a person from filing case but you have right to defend and also to take precautions to save yourself from such frivolous cases.
question markCompany Registation 1 Response(s)
Dear Sir, You may take effective advise in person with a lawyer as well as a chartered accountant. Please contact me through the administrators of this website.
question markI have done Credit card transaction for a particular Bank but I believe the transactions arë hyped pertaining to transactions done by me. 2 Response(s)
Hi, Can you explain what do you mean by the fact that the transactions are hyped? If you find there is some transaction error or that excess money has been used, then you can talk to your nearest bank branch. If the bank does not reveal information about something then you can decide to file an RTI. Thank you. If you found the answer helpful, kindly rate the answer.
question markFraud transactions 2 Response(s)
Dear Sir, You cannot be considered as innocent and you will be held responsible for all consequences. Ignorance of law is no excuse. Further you have given all powers to deal with your bank account to your friend as such you are shouldering responsibility of all such consequences. You can get defreeze your account as follows: ======================================================== Under the following provisions the Hon’ble Magistrate Court having ample powers to unfreeze the Bank accounts. Further, the Hon’ble Court has vast powers to hand over the properties/vehicles seized by the Police and other authorities to the owners of the properties/vehicles. Such interim orders normally will be made within Thirty days of such interim application and on such orders the Police and other authorities are bound to hand over the properties/vehicles to the persons in whose favour such orders are passed. Section 451 in The Code Of Criminal Procedure, 1973 451. Order for custody and disposal of property pending trial in certain cases. When any property is produced before any Criminal Court during any inquiry or trial, the Court may make such order as it thinks fit for the proper custody of such property pending the conclusion of the inquiry or trial, and, if the property is subject to speedy and natural decay, or if it is otherwise expedient so to do, the Court may, after recording such evidence as it thinks necessary, order it to be sold or otherwise disposed of. Explanation.- For the purposes of this section," property" includes- (a) property of any kind or document which is produced before the Court or which is in its custody, (b) any property regarding which an offence appears to have been committed or which appears to have been used for the commission of any offence. 457. Procedure by police upon seizure of property. (1) Whenever the seizure of property by any police officer is reported to a Magistrate under the provisions of this Code, and such property is not produced before a Criminal Court during an inquiry or trial, the Magistrate may make such order as he thinks fit respecting the disposal of such property or the delivery of such property to the person entitled to the possession thereof, or if such person cannot be ascertained, respecting the custody and production of such property. (2) If the person so entitled is known, the Magistrate may order the property to be delivered to him on such conditions (if any) as the Magistrate thinks fit and if such person is unknown, the Magistrate may detain it and shall, in such case, issue a proclamation specifying the articles of which such property consists, and requiring any person who may have a claim thereto, to appear before him and establish his claim within six months from the date of such proclamation. Keeping seized vehicle in open air may harm it; petition for custody of vehicle under Section 457 CrPC allowed • Madhya Pradesh High Court: A Single Judge Bench comprising of Anjuli Palo, J., addressed matter where petitioner was aggrieved by an impugned order passed by Ist Additional Sessions Judge Itarsi in a criminal revision whereby the application under Section 457 CrPC, 1973 was dismissed. The petitioner’s vehicle was seized by the police for crime under Sections 4, 6 and 9 of the M.P. GauvansVadhPratishedhAdhiniyam, 2004 and Section 11 of PashuKoortaAdhiniyam, 1960. This petition was filed under Section 482 of Code praying the release of petitioner’s vehicle by virtue of Section 457 of the Code on grounds that impugned orders seizing petitioner’s vehicle were illegal and arbitrary and the vehicle had been kept in open space which could damage the vehicle. Court relied on the case of Sunderbhai Ambalal Desai v. State of Gujarat, (2002) 10 SCC 290 where it was held that seized vehicle should be released as keeping it in open could cause harm to the vehicle. Therefore, Court set aside the impugned order as a result of which the vehicle’s interim custody was given to petitioner on furnishing of a personal bond. [Mohd.Irfan v. State of M.P.,2018 SCC OnLine MP 457, dated 03-08-2018]