Engagement broke up Engagement broke up

5 years ago

My name is Sakunth Kumar Sanagavarapu. I was born in a traditional Brahmin family in Mangalagiri, Guntur District, Andhra Pradesh. I am a Postgraduate in M.A English Literature and I have also completed B.Ed. My native place is Mangalagiri and I have been in my native place since 2000.
A serious issued took place in my life that changed the entire scope of my life.
In November 2017, I got engaged to Smiley Varma Bandanadam who works as a teacher in a private school in Mangalagiri. I also work in the same school. I spoke with her first time in October 2017, and within few days our relation has turned into friendship. I liked her qualities very much and proposed to marry her. Then she said that she has Diabetics. However, she did not tell me that her condition was serious. Neither her family members did not tell me about her critical health condition. I thought that I could afford her medical expenses since her health condition is not too critical.
After having a talk with Smiley, I took the proposal to my mother. My mother also spoke with Smiley and confirmed the marriage. Our engagement date was fixed on November 10, 2017. Actually, in our Brahmin families, people do not accept inter-caste marriages. However, my mother accepted the inter-caste marriage since Smiley said that they were Padmashalis and her original name was Suhasini. She said that Smiley was her pet name, and it continued to be as her original name since childhood. She also said that her Diabetics is under control. After asking all the details, my mother confirmed the date for engagement.
Finally, our engagement was held in the presence of all our relatives on November 10, 2018. Within three days after engagement I and my mother came to know that the health condition of Smiley (Suhasini) is critical. She had undergone dialysis, and her condition is critical. I am an ordinary middle-class fellow, and I earn around Rs. 1,50,000 per year. With my financial condition, I can’t afford her medical expenses, which are too costly.
Neither she nor her family disclosed any details about her health condition. We also came to know that she is a Christian, which is not acceptable for marriage. Even though we do not have any caste issues, it is difficult for me to afford the medical expenses. She is a type II diabetic, and takes 75 points of insulin per day. It is highly critical condition. She did not tell this before engagement.
Therefore, my mom and I decided to cancel the marriage as we can’t bear her medical expenses. If anything happens to her in front of my eyes after marriage, that guilt will last long forever. My mom and I decided to cancel the marriage without hurting her about disclosing about her health condition.
We planned that they should cancel the marriage themselves. So, my mother asked the girl to bring Rs. 10 lakh after marriage to cover up her medical expenses. In reality, we do not want money. We want to cancel the marriage. The girl’s family did not cancel the marriage. Then we only cancelled the marriage on the religious grounds.
Since we have cancelled the marriage, I decided to return the engagement expenses to the girl. However, she approached a third person called ‘Nagendram’ –water plant supervisor in the school we work. He stated to demand Rs. 5 lakh to Rs. 10 lakh as compensation to the girls family. He also threatened us on filing SC/ ST atrocities case. I can’t pay such big amount as compensation and we vacated the house in which we live and started to live in another house in Mangalagiri which is not known to Nagendram or my relatives.
None of our relatives are talking with us after the incident. I did not do any big mistake. I did not roam with the girl, I did not cheat her. We just got engaged and broke up the marriage. It is unjudicial to demand compensation of Rs. 5 to Rs. 10 lakh.
I have been living in hell for the past five months. My mother’s health is not good as she was highly worried of leaving the native home and relatives. I wanted to live normal life again by mingling with all my friends and relatives in Mangalagiri.
If I come into light, Nagendram might torcher me again for compensation. What should I do? I really did not commit a great mistake.

NILANJAN CHATTERJEE

A.Let her file a case as the suit will not be maintainable for concealment of facts.

Nirmal Chopra

A.No action can be taken against you . marriage could have taken place only between two Hindus as per Hindu Marriage act. Since the girl is not a Hindu, you cant even otherwise enter into a lawful relationship because being Hindu is a pre-condition both for the boy as well as the girl.

Kishan Dutt Kalaskar

Nothing to bother. She cannot go any where and her complaint and suit not maintainable. The amount being given to her be spent on legal expenses and teach her a lesson.

question iconI want some legal advice regarding my home
Dear Client, When a property left by the deceased owner intestate, i.e, without any will, the surviving family members of the deceased owner are entitled to an equal share in the said property followi...
question iconCan I give my wife a power of attorney to take care of our child's day-to-day wellbeing
Dear Client, A power of attorney (POA) is a legal document in which the principal (Executor) designates another person (called the agent or constituted attorney) to act on your behalf. The agent can h...
question iconIT liabilities
Dear Client, Nomination is only a clause that allows the nominee to claim assets as ‘custodian’ on the deposit owner's death. Under the Insurance Laws (Amendment) Act of 2015, immediate family members...
question iconRegarding EWS certificate for a Married Person
Dear Client, To qualify for the issue of EWS Certificate, a candidate's annual family income must be less than Rs. 8 lakhs per annum. Their family must not own more than 5 acres of agricultural land....
question iconPPF Nominee vs Legal heir
Dear Client, Nomination is only a clause that allows the nominee to claim assets as ‘custodian’ on the deposit owner's death. The nominee doesn’t get ownership of the assets. They are just trustees/ c...