RBI Guidelines on Fix Deposits in Banks RBI Guidelines on Fix Deposits in Banks

Dear Sir,
I am a senior citizen with 72 years of age. My wife and I have JT FD A/cs(Many FDRs) with a nationalised bank for a period of10 years. My wife is the 1st holder and I am the Jt second holder. All FDRs are under Quarterly Interest Plan with interest accrued every quarter is transferred to her single SB A/c . I also have single saving bank A/c with the bank. My wife passed away 4 ½ years back. I was told by the Bank that as per RBI Guidelines I need not close the FD A/cs till maturity. As per my wife’s will, now, all the interest accrued is being transferred to my single SB A/c. IT Dept. has also approved me as the legal heir for my wife’s income. This income is added to my income every quarter. As my wife is the 1st holder in all the above mentioned FDRs, TDS is being deducted every quarter from this interest on my wife’s name. I deduct this TDS and pay remaining Income tax on my total income but I receive the Demand Notice for the amount equal to the TDS deducted on my wife’s PAN for the last 3 years. I request you to suggest solution to this problem and oblige.
Yours sincerely,
Sudhir Prabhakar Gadkari

The very first thing that you should do is to give an application to the Bank to change the ownership of the FDs in your name. In my view they have mislead you as after the death of your wife an account can never remain opened in her name.
Once you have got the FD completely in your name then it will automatically solve the issue of the TDS.
As far as receiving the notification from IT is concerned, you just send them a clarification letter about the death of your wife. They should stop sending the letters.

Better go to the Office of any charted accountant or auditor and get clarify all your doubts who are experts in the financial matters.

question iconTax is applicable for Demise person ( legal heir)
No the widow wife shall not be taxable under the Income Tax Act as she is out of the scope of Section 56 (2) since the rules framed are as follows: a) Widow or widower, full retirement age or older —...
question iconRelief under 90/90 A under double taxation
You need to consult with a qualified Chartered Accountant for detailed answer to your query. For further detailed consultation you may contact at 7604047601.
question iconITR of my deceased mother
Kindly contact a qualified Chartered Accountant for solving all your queries. Kindly call at 7604047601 for detailed consultation.
question iconstamp duty on indemnity bond
Dear Sir, u may contact any local Auditor or Chartered Accountant to clear your doubt. Otherwise, u may directly approach Income Tax office or any other similar office.
question iconTax Liability for Non Income Transactions
Dear Sir, The questions are related to Finance matter and such questions may be answered by either CA or Auditor. Please approach any one of them.
Read Blogs on Tax-Income Tax