90,000+ Legal Questions Answered

Is ownerB accountible as tax is pending from ownerA and not ownerB Is ownerB accountible as tax is pending from ownerA and not ownerB

8 months ago

Property tax not paid by First owner for 1 year in 2009 Property tax not paid by First owner for 1 year in 2009
Posted 2 days ago

in Karnataka,
"Owner A" purchased property in 2008. Khatha transferred to "Owner A" . He has paid property tax in 2008 but not PAID for one year 2009. All other subsequent taxes are paid on time.

"owner B" purchases same property in 2017. Khatha gets transferred to Owner B. All other subsequent property tax dues are paid.

"Owner C" buys the same property in the year 2023. When he visits Corporation for Khatha transfer, he is informed that the property tax is due in the year 2009 for just 1 year. This tax has to be cleared before doing the khatha transfer. All other taxes upto 2023 are paid.

Please help in providing your suggestion here.
No one remembers or has the record to show that 2009 tax is not paid. Now the tax amount with interest is 9000Rs.
Who is liable to pay the property tax if both "ownerA" and "OwnerB" do not respond to call/request from "OwnerC" ?

Is OwnerB accountible here ? Because the pending tax is from ownerA and not ownerB


Responded 7 months ago

View All Answers
A.Dear client,
Previous owner is liable to pay all dues in respect to the property upto to the date of sale. inform him accordingly. If he does not pay you need to file a suit for recovery of money against the seller.

Post Your Matter Post Your Matter

Talk to a Lawyer Talk to a Lawyer

Ask a question Ask a question

Vidhi Samaadhaan Vidhi Samaadhaan

Read Related Answers

question iconPurchase of flat in mysore karnataka
Dear Client, Section 112C of the Karnataka Municipal Corporations Act, 1976 deals with the levy of penalty on property tax on unlawful building. According to Sec.112C(1) of the Act, whoever unlawfull...
question iconTwo buyer Two NRI Seller - how many challans
Dear Sir, You may contact an advocate exclusively dealing in real estate and property matters. Further, you may approach directly the Sub-Registrar office who are experts in the above matter.
question iconRevenue Inspector asking Money for Approval E-Khata
Dear Client, You can apply for an e-Khata certificate by visiting the SAKALA services. You need to submit the required documents to obtain the e-Khata certificate online. After this, the authorities f...
question iconTDS on immovable property purchased from local authority
Dear Client, Section 194IA of the Income Tax Act, 1961 prescribes that a buyer of immovable property that costs more than Rs. 50 lakhs is required to deduct TDS @ 1% of the total consideration amount...
question iconProperty Tax
Dear Client, Property gains tax, often referred to as capital gains tax, is typically applicable when you sell or exchange a property, and you make a profit from the transaction. The tax liability ari...
Read Blogs on Tax-Property Tax

Tax-Property Tax Lawyers