How to Settle Property Disputes in India

January 19, 2022, 5:45 pm | Updated January 22, 2022, 7:25 pm IST
How to Settle Property Disputes in India
Listen to this article

Table of Contents

Property is always a major focus area for any person in any country. Property disputes are very common throughout India in every state. In India Legal System there are Laws defined to protect the interest of the individual’s right but still we have many numbers of property cases pending in our courts. Many a times such disputes are settled among families or people fight it out in courts. Later is an expensive and lengthy process. Property disputes are majorly on the ownership of the property and on its sale and purchase.


Why to take Legal Advice on Property Dispute

Property is governed by many laws. These laws help to define the ownership of the property clearly and also it helps the ownership transfer of property from one entity to another. Depending on the variable scenarios different laws are applicable. For your property you need to have a good understanding that which laws are applicable and whether you are aligned with it. A property lawyer can help you to understand the laws related to your property better. A lawyer can anticipate the issues which may arise in future if few things are not taken care now. So, it is always advisable to consult a good lawyer for your property before you make any decision about it.


How to resolve property dispute in family?

Property dispute in family occurs over the property which is owned by the parents mostly and when the property has to be transferred to the next generation. There are 2 ways to acquire a property and the two ways regulates the way laws will be applicable to them-

  • Self-acquired property
  • Ancestral property

Rights over both types of property are different. Selling and transferring of property of both categories are very different. It is very important to understand how legally these properties can be handled. When a dispute arises over a property then the question comes how to resolve them. In family, broadly there are two ways you can settle down with the property dispute.

  1. By Mutual Agreement and Discussion which is called Settlement.
  2. By going to the court means going for litigation. 

Mutual Settlement in Family

The best tip to resolve a property dispute is to resolve mutually by talking and discussion. If families can discus among themselves and clearly identify the heirs, then the overall process remains simple. When there is no agreement then comes the issue and it goes to court for resolution. Going to court will definitely help to get what you want if it is in your favour but definitely will add time and expense to it.

Litigation in Court

Litigation means fighting the case and asking the court to resolve your property dispute. This is a cumbersome process as both parties fight out with all resources to make the judgement in their favour. So, this definitely needs lot of your time and money. In India huge number of property dispute cases are pending in courts in every state.

Property dispute cases in India

Number of property dispute cases in India is growing every year. Because of infrastructural growth and development, good number of property selling and purchases are happening. There are few common disputes which are mostly seen-

  • Division of ancestral property among brothers and sisters
  • Share of girl child in a property
  • Ownership of property where 2nd marriage is involved
  • Very old property where ownership was not passed properly
  • Landlord tenant issue
  • Property selling and purchasing issues


How to resolve property dispute in India?

When we say property, first thing comes is what is a property. A property can be Real or Personal. Real property means land and governed by land laws, this includes land, building, house, commercial building etc. When we say personal property, this is something which we possess like car etc.

Property disputes mainly happens for land and buildings in India. There is huge chunk of ancestral lands in India which is getting passed from generation to generation. To manage these transfers and rights on the ownership of the lands, there are many laws which have come into place. Each law covers particular points which needs to be taken care while doing any transaction in India.


Property dispute Laws and Acts

There are many laws and acts governing the land acquisition, land transfer, land purchase, land selling. There are inheritance laws which explains how an inherited property can come from one generation to another. Again,Muslim laws are little different and need to be checked separately. There are succession laws which explain who a successor of a property can be. If you are in Kolkata, then you can connect with good property lawyers in Kolkata to validate which laws are applicable on your property and what options do you have for what you are looking for.


In nutshell, it is very important for you to be informed about the property laws applicable to your property. Consult good property lawyers for all documentation purpose to avoid any future dispute.

Commonly Asked Questions

i. What is the meaning of property dispute?

Property dispute means that there is a disagreement or question on the ownership of a property. Until that dispute is clear no action can be done on that property.

ii. How do to handle a property dispute?

Property laws are quite complex. Initially it is best to consult property lawyers who can inform you about the laws and can suggest how to resolve it. Your advocate will guide you if this can be settled by discussion or need to go for a litigation.

iii. Can a disputed property be sold?

It is entirely on the type of dispute. If the issue is on the ownership, then property cannot be sold.

iv. Can daughter get share of property after marriage in father’s property?

A girl child has equal rights on the property of father as sons.


Suggested reads for property disputes-



Written By:


Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markNRI Child Status in India 2 Response(s)
As per law father is the natural guardian of child above 5 years. Fluency in English does not mean that person is intelligent and sane. Many people like from china, Japan, USSR, Israel etc uses translator to communicate. 1. Since child is born in India hence till 18 he can have be Indian citizen or be Australian citizen and on attaining 18 child shall have option to choose citizenship of either country. 2. Yes. 3. Yes. On attaining 18 years he shall have option to choose citizenship of either country. 4. You cannot stop a person from filing case but you have right to defend and also to take precautions to save yourself from such frivolous cases.
question markTriple talaq and exparte divorce and 498A 2 Response(s)
Dear Client, To address a false complaint or an FIR filed against you, you can seek its quashing through a petition before the High Court under Section 482 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973. The Sec.482 Cr. PC empowers the High Court to quash the FIR/criminal proceedings initiated before the trial Court against the accused. It is essential to prove to the court that the criminal suit was lodged with malicious intent to cause harm or inconvenience and is devoid of truth. The burden of proof rests on the petitioner. An application for Quashing of criminal proceedings can also be filed before the High Court under Article 226 of the Constitution of India through a Criminal Miscellaneous Writ Petition. In the Shayara Bano case (2017), the Supreme Court in a landmark 3-2 verdict, had struck down instant triple talaq declaring the practice or custom of triple talaq as unconstitutional. The court established a legal prohibition on Triple Talaq, with the enactment of the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act in 2019 and as per Section 4 of the said Act, any Muslim husband who pronounces talaq referred to in Section 3 upon his wife shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years, and shall also be liable to fine. For cancellation of LOC(Look Out Circular), a person against whom LOC is issued must join investigation by appearing before I.O. or should surrender before the court concerned or should satisfy the court that LOC was wrongly issued against him. He may also approach the officer who ordered issuance of LOC & explain that LOC was wrongly issued against him. You can approach High court under section 482 Cr.P.C if the LOC is issued by trial court in arbitrary manner;
question markAbout alimony and baby maintenance from NRI husband 1 Response(s)
Dear Client, In matters of divorce and child custody, it's crucial to consult with a family law attorney who can provide advice tailored to your specific situation. Generally, grounds for divorce can include mental cruelty and abandonment, but the legal procedures can vary based on the jurisdiction involved. In international cases like yours, it might involve additional complexities. Your husband's absence during hearings may indeed impact the process; your attorney can guide you on how to address this. Alimony and child support calculations depend on various factors, including your respective incomes, child custody arrangements, and living expenses. Your career restart and earning income might be considered in alimony discussions. Remarrying could influence alimony but generally does not impact child support. Child support and visitation rights are usually separate matters, and paying child support does not automatically grant visitation rights. Consulting a family law attorney will provide the most accurate advice tailored to your specific situation and jurisdiction. Thankyou
Dear Client It is quite surprising then the lawyer was able to get the Hon'ble High Court's ex parte order. Did you receive the summon for the High Court case? if not then you can challenge that exparte order. It is quite possible to block their travel from India but then you have to get the court orders for the same.
question markEducation of opportunity deprived children 1 Response(s)
dear client in your case kindly consult with experienced lawyer for better resolutions