Track Your Request
Track Your Request
+91-7604047602 Our Team About Us Legal Blog Free Legal Advice Login
Vidhikarya Text Logo

Mutual Consent Divorce through Video Conferencing

Mutual Consent Divorce through Video Conferencing
Many countries, apart from India, have also used digitalization to grant divorces to couples who cannot remain present together in one particular State or country. There have been many cases in which the parties give their consent for divorce through video calls using Skype, WhatsApp and other online applications. This not only saves time of both the parties, but it is also the way through which hassle-free divorces takes place.

Mutual Consent Divorce is an easy way of coming out of the matrimony and dissolve it legally. When the spouse (husband and wife) agree to take a divorce, the courts will consider as a mutual consent divorce. For the petition to be accepted, however, the spouse should be separated for more than a year or two years. They can be separated when the couple, still agree for mutual divorce because it is comparatively inexpensive and not as troubling as a contested divorce. The issues related to children's custody, alimony or maintenance and property rights can be agreed mutually too.

According to the law, there is no minimum or maximum limit of maintenance, and the child custody can be shared or joint depending upon the mutual comprehension of the couple.

The number of matrimonial cases filed per year in India is a lot more when compared to other countries. Delhi has 11,862 pending matrimonial cases. The courts disposed of more than 24,000 cases in the last two years. Kerala tops the list with 52,000 cases awaiting adjudication till November 2016. On the contrary, Uttar Pradesh has just 5,466 cases pending in its 76 family courts. This not only increases the burden on the courts, but it also delays the cases which are urgent and require speedy disposal. Due to the increasing number of cases, the need to use the technology to dispose of such cases was realized by the courts. Video-conferencing is one of the modern ways which can help people to get speedy trials and on the other hand, the court, the judges and the litigants can enjoy less burden of matrimonial cases.

Video conferencing is a comparatively new tool in the arsenal of the judiciary, the aim of the same is to make the availability of witnesses and parties to the suit more pragmatic, as discussed in the matter concerning the Indian Planned Parenthood Federation in the Delhi HC, where the two-judge bench of J. Bader Durrej Ahmed and J. Sanjeev Sachdeva; The Hon'ble justices have referred to this pragmatisms in light of the specific appeal of the party in requesting the recording of the testimony of one of the witnesses via video conferencing. This seminal decision in the Delhi HC has been backed by the SC in State of Maharashtra v Dr. Praful Dubey AIR 2003 SCC 601 where the application of Sec, 273 of CrPC was discussed and held that the meaning of the term 'Presence' as used in the section refers not to the physical presence, but the general availability of the witness to the court, and since presence in this modern era can be guaranteed even without the physical existence of a party, video conferencing is an agreeable replacement to the physical attendance of the party to court. In both these cases, the court held financial ability and capacity to appear as a secondary reason and argued that there is no set reason why online attendance for a court procedure could be granted, although the text is obvious enough to exclude laxity. It is to be noted that the cases are criminal appeals in the respective HCs, and the interpretation focuses on interpretation in CRPC, but it is equally important to note that the term 'presence' can be superposed in civil matters as well, and there is nothing in the way of applying the same to family court procedure.

History of divorces through video-conferencing

Divorce cases may be fought on video in future rather than in crowded courtrooms amidst strangers. Krishna Veni Nagam vs Harish Nigam 2017, changed the way through which the courts use to start proceedings of the matrimonial cases. The case was regarding a woman who filed a petition in the court stating that, she lives in Hyderabad with her minor daughter and has to travel to Jabalpur where her estranged husband has filed a divorce case. The bench which had Justice A.K Goel and UU Lalit allowed the petition and transferred the divorce matter from Jabalpur to a family court in Hyderabad, noting that the plea was pending before it for three years. With this, the court observed that just transferring a case from one place to another is not a solution. The court said,"This court is flooded with petitions of this nature and considering the convenience of the wife, a transfer is normally allowed. However, in the process, the litigants have to travel to this court and spend on litigation. Question is whether this can be avoided." The bench observed that one could not ignore the problem faced by a husband if proceedings are transferred on account of genuine difficulties faced by the wife. The husband may find it difficult to contest proceedings at a place which is convenient to the wife. To combat this situation, it was then that the Supreme Court decided to conduct these cases through video conferencing, which not only saves money but is also more convenient to both the parties involved in it. Taking this decision, the court also said, technology ought to be utilized for receiving communication from parties. We are thus of the view that it is necessary to issue certain directions which may provide alternatives to seeking transfer of proceedings on account of the inability of a party to contest proceedings at a place away from their ordinary residence on the ground that if proceedings are not transferred, it will result in denial of justice." When it was argued that, not every place has the facility of Video calls, the court said, "We understand that in every district in the country, video conferencing is not available. In any case, wherever such facility is available, it ought to be fully utilized and all high courts ought to issue appropriate administrative instructions to regulate the use of video conferencing for a certain category of cases." This decision was important and essential as it eliminates the need for the person to be present personally in court. The court noted that a divorce case is usually filed in a court within which jurisdiction the husband lives or the wife lives or where the couple had their matrimonial home.

In most cases, estranged couples may very well go their separate ways, probably to other States. The Supreme Court found that the odds are usually stacked against the estranged husband when the wife prefers a transfer of the matrimonial proceedings to a court in her vicinity. When such a transfer application comes up, the courts either order the husband to foot the wife's travel and accommodation expenses or mechanically allow her plea. The judiciary justifies that this empathy towards women is based on three factors — the constitutional scheme to provide women equal access to justice, the power of the State to make special provisions for women and children and duty to uphold the dignity of women.

It is also important to note that, this judgment was opposite to the case the court had in the 2006 judgment in Anindita Das versus Srijit Das. In the mentioned case, the Supreme Court had insisted that transfer of the matrimonial case to the wife's place is a must when she does not have "any male member to accompany her to the matrimonial proceedings".

Current Stand of Divorces through Video conferencing

After the Supreme Court, allowed the divorces through video calls, the current scenario of divorces remains the same and people do apply for divorces through skype and video calls. In a recent case, Harshada Bharat Deshmukh Vs. Bharat Appasaheb Deshmukh, ST. NO.1788 of 2018, the Bombay High Court has held that a petition for divorce through mutual consent can be filed through a registered power of attorney and directed the Family Court, Bandra, to allow recording of consent terms via Skype or any other technology. The couple filed a petition before the Family Court for dissolution of marriage through mutual consent under section 13 B of Hindu Marriage Act.

However, the petition was signed by the husband and the father of the wife, who is also her registered power of attorney holder. The family court under this held that both the parties must remain present, for filing such a petition and the petition was dismissed on the same ground. Samir Vadiya, the lawyer of wife, argued that his client was employed in the United States of America and was unable to remain present due to employment rules and regulations she was governed by. Vadiya also claimed that both the parties were living separately for more than a year and the refusal of the petition on the ground of non-presence is not valid. He placed reliance on a judgment of the high court in Mukesh Narayan Shinde v Palak Mukesh Shinde to submit that it is permissible for the family court in the light of technological development to arrange for e-­counselling and e-­verification by video conference.  Furthermore, he also relied upon the judgment of Punjab & Haryana High Court in Navdeep Kaur v Mahinder S Ahluwalia to submit that personal appearance of the parties at the time of presentation of the petition for divorce by mutual consent is not mandatory and the parties may be represented through a duly constituted attorney.  The same reasoning was used in the matter of J. Kalpana v S. Sreenath that was filed before the Madras HC.

It is important to note that, in Sec. 13-B, the court interpreted the words 'In the presence of the parties' in a literal sense, this has led to courts having to think of workarounds in situations where the parties are estranged, or in different jurisdictions.In the case of Kanwalijeet Sachdev v State of UP(2016) 99 ACC 323, the Allahabad HC followed the ration on Navdeep and agreed that alternative methods, among them, filing a mutual divorce petition through power of attorney, and remote recording of evidence etc. can be done to accommodate the party. Thereafter in the HC of Calcutta, in Annalie Prashad v Ramesh Prashad AIR 1968 Cal 48 it was held that the strict interpretation of the presentation by parties would imply accommodation rather than exclusion of evidence, this ratio has been taken forward in division bench decision by the Delhi HC in Vinay Jude Dias v Renajeet Kaur(2009) 186 Drj 183, here it was held that the power of attorney can be used even in matters of mutual consent divorce, as long as the other requirements have been fulfilled.

These cases establish that, divorce petitions do not require the direct presence of the parties and that alternative solutions can be sought. Courts have shown similar leniency in matters of party presence before the court, in divorce matters, where the party for whom video conferencing is needed is merely a witness as held in Sujoy Mittra v State of West Bengal(2015) 16 SCC 615, and this has been affirmed by the Kerala HC in the matter of Zacharia Arun George Scaria In Re: Titus Mani Adv. 2013 SCC Ker 169.

In the times of Covid-19, the domestic violence is on the rise, and there is very little the government can do about the rehabilitation of the victims, for this reason, it is not too far fetched to think that there might be a spike in the number of petitions filed for separation and divorce after courts return to full capacity. As the courts are only working online, and are taking cases which are of urgent matters, the cases related to divorce might not be heard as of now. However, lawyers suggest that the divorce cases, which includes huge alimony and settlement amounts, will have to be revived and amendments would be made, as the economic situation of every individual post corona period is not going to remain same.

One downside is that most proceedings, except extremely sensitive matters such as POCSO - Preventive Detention, Terror and related matters, are public hearings; thus it means that the courtroom is open to the public to venture into and view. Although it is common practice for parties in sensitive divorce matters to request in-camera proceedings, it is not the norm. Currently, due to the nature of video conferencing itself, most matters where one or both parties deigns to attend through online means will automatically render the proceedings in-camera.


Many countries, apart from India, have also used digitalization to grant divorces to couples who cannot remain present together in one particular State or country. There have been many cases in which the parties give their consent for divorce through video calls using Skype, WhatsApp and other online applications. This not only saves time of both the parties, but it is also the way through which hassle-free divorces takes place.

The Indian Judicial System gave a landmark judgment in the year 2017 when it permitted the mutual consent divorce through video conference. Video calls allowance will also help to save a lot of many, which is spent on travel by the parties through one State to the another where the case is being heard. It has also given equal rights to both the women and the men as neither party would have to travel for trials of the cases. Furthermore, digitalization of the country is important as the whole world is turning digital and to match with the same pace is essential. 

It is also important to note that Family Court proceedings are more amenable to the collection of both testamentary and material evidence through electronic means, this is because standard evidentiary rules don't apply to family courts due to the application of the Family Courts Act 1984. Hence, any testamentary evidence gathered through video conferencing will not face the usual hurdles of admissibility specifically because the matter is posted before a family court.

The author of this blog/Article is Kishan Dutt Kalaskar, a Retired Judge and practising advocate having an experience of 35+ years in handling different legal matters. He has prepared and got published Head Notes for more than 10,000 Judgments of the Supreme Court and High Courts in different Law Journals. From his experience he wants to share this beneficial information for the individuals having any issues with respect to their related matters .

Posted On : July 9, 2020

Written By :
Kishan Dutt Kalaskar Retired Judge
Kishan Dutt Kalaskar Retired Judge
Bangalore | Kolkata | Mumbai | Hyderabad | Chennai |

Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markDifferces in Marriage
Dear Client, you can proceed with your divorce on the ground of mutual consent as both the parties are willing to separate and for this, it is recommended that you both live separately for at least 1 year to sort the differences and then use it as a solid point in the court. With respect to false accusations, it can be avoided if you proceed through mutual consent ground and for custody, you can take this matter at the same time. Thank you
question markregarding evidence submitting & intimation to court
Dear Sir, Procedure For Filing A Suit/Case There is a detailed procedure laid down, for filing a civil case. If the procedure is not followed, then the registry has a right to dismiss the suit The Procedure is as follows: Filing Of Suit/Plaint Vakalatnama Court Fees How Proceedings Are Conducted Written Statement Replication By Plaintiff Filing Of Other Documents Framing Of Issues/List Of Witness Final Hearing Appeal, Reference And Review Limitation Filing of Suit/Plaint 1. In layman's language plaint is the written complaint/allegation. 2. One who files it is known as "Plaintiff" and against whom it is filed is known as "Defendant" 3. The plaint has to be filed within the time limit prescribed in the Limitation Act, and should be typed copy, in double line space. 4. Name of the Court, Nature of Complaint, Names and Address of parties to be suit has to be clearly mentioned. 5. Plaint should also contain verification from plaintiff, stating that, contents of the plaint are true and correct Vakalatnama 1. A person/party filing a case, May also represent their own case personally in any court. 2. However, due to lack of knowledge of Law and Technical Procedures, Lawyers are engaged to report the interest of parties. 3. " Vakalatnama", is a document, by which the party filing the case authorises the Advocate to represent on their behalf? 4. On General Terms, a Vakalatnama may contain the falling terms: 5. The client will not hold the Advocate responsible for any decision. 6. The client shall bear all the costs and/expenses incurred during the proceedings. 7. The advocate shall have right to retain the documents, unless complete fees are paid. 8. The client is free to disengage the Advocate at any stage of the Proceedings. 9. The Advocate shall have all the right to take decisions on his own in the court of Law, during the hearing, to the best interest of client. 10. Vakalatnama is affixed on the last page of plaint/suit and is kept alongwith court records. 11. No fees are required to be paid on it. However, nowadays, Delhi High court Rules require, a 10 Rupees. "Advocate Welfare Stamp" to be affixed on the Vakalatnama. 12. Plaint should also have the requisite court fees attached to it. Court fees are some nominal percentage of the value of the claim or value of the suit. The requisite amount of Court and stamp fees is different for every suit, and is mentioned in the "Court Fees Stamp Act." Court Fees Different amount of court fees is paid for different type of documents. Some of them are as follows; 1. In case of plaint/written statement == 10 RS. == if the value of the suit exceed Rs.5,000/- upto 10,000/- 2. Plaint , in a suit for possession == Fee of one half of the amount above. 3. On a copy of a Decree or order == ( 50 paise ) == if the amount or value of Having the force of a decree the subject matter of the suit wherein such decree or order is made is fifty or less than fifty rupees. Vvalue of Suit 1. Value of suit exceeds Rs. 1,50,000-1,55,000 == Rs. 1700/- 2. Value of suit exceeds Rs. 3,00,000-3,05,000 == Rs. 2450/- 3. Value of suit exceeds Rs. 4,00,000-4,05,000 == Rs. 2950/- Finally, a date shall be given to the plaintiff, for first hearing. On such hearing, the court will decide whether the proceedings should continue or not. If it decides, that the case no merits, then it will dismiss it there itself, without calling opposite party. If it decides otherwise, then proceedings shall being How Proceedings Are Conducted 1. On the first day of hearing, if the court thinks there are merits in the case, it will issue notice to the opposite party, to submit their arguments, and fix a date. 2. On issuance of notice to the opposite party, the plaintiff is required to do the following: i. File requisite amount of procedure--- fee in the court. ii. File 2 copies of plaint for each defendant in the court, i.e. if there are 3 defendants, 6 copies has to be filed. iii. Of, the 2 copies for each defendant, one shall be sent by Register/post/courier, and one by Ordinary post. iv. Such filing should be done within 7 days, from date of order/notice. Written Statement 1. When the notice has been issued to the defendant, he is required to appear on the date mentioned in the notice. 2. Before such date, the defendant is required to file his "written statement", i.e. his defense against the allegation raised by plaintiff, within 30 days from date of service of notice, or within such time as given by court 3. The written statement should specifically deny the allegations, which defendant thinks are false. Any allegation not specifically denied is deemed to be admitted. 4. The written statement should also contain verification from the Defendant, stating that, the contents of written statement are true and correct. 5. The time period of 30 days, for filing a Written Statement, can be extended to 90 days after seeking permission of the court. Replication By Plaintiff 1. "Replication" is a reply, filed by the plaintiff, against the "written statement" of Defendant. 2. "Replication" should also specifically deny the allegations raised by the Defendant in written statement. Anything not denied is deemed to be accepted. 3. Replication should also contain, a " verification" from the plaintiff, stating that contents of "Replication" are true and correct. 4. Once Replication is filed, pleadings are stated to be complete. Filing of Other Documents 1. Once, the pleadings are complete, then both the parties are given opportunity to produce and file documents, on which they rely, and to substantiate their claims. 2. Any document not filed or produced cannot be relied upon, during final arguments. 3. Filing of Documents is not sufficient. They should be admitted and taken on record. In brief the procedure is as follows: i. Documents filed by one party may be admitted by opposite party. ii. If they are denied by opposite party, then they can be admitted by the witness produced by party whose documents are denied. iii. Once the document has been admitted it shall form a part of the record of court, and all the details of suit such as name of parties, title of suit etc, shall be inscribed on the document. (O13 R49 7) iv. Documents, which are rejected i.e. not admitted, are returned to the respective parties. v. It is necessary that document should be filed in "original", and a spare copy should be given to the opposite party. Framing of Issues/List of Witness 1. "ISSUES" are framed by the court, on the basis of which arguments and examination of witness takes place. 2. Issues are framed, keeping in view the disputes in the suit, and the parties are not allowed to go outside the purview of "Issues". 3. Issues may be of: A) Fact or B) Law 4. While passing final order, the court will deal with each issue separately, and pass judgement on each issue. LIST OF WITNESS 1. Whichever witness, the parties wish to produce, and to be examined, has to be produced before the court. 2. Both the parties to the suit shall file a list of witness within 15 days from the date on which issues were framed or within such other period as the court may prescribe. 3. The parties may either call the witness on it's own, or ask the court to send summons to them. 4. In case court send summons to witness then the party calling for such witness has to deposit money ' with the Court for their expenses, known as "Diet Money". 5. A person, who does not appear before the court, if he is required by the court to do so, then the court may impose fine and penalty on him. 6. Finally on the date, the witness will be examined by both the parties. i. Examination by party of it's own witness is called "Examination-in-chief" ii. Examination by party of other party's witness is called "cross Examination". iii. Whatever, has to be deposed in " Examination-in-chief", can also be filed by way of an Affidavit. iv. Once, the Examination and Cross- Examination of witness is over, and also the admission and denial of documents, then the court will fix a date for final hearing. Final Hearing 1. On the day fixed for final hearing, the arguments shall take place. 2. The arguments should strictly be confined to the issues framed. 3. Before the final Arguments, the parties with the permission of Court, can amend their pleadings. 4. Whatever is not contained in the pleadings, the court may refuse to listen. 5. Finally, the court shall pass a "final Order", either on the day of hearing itself, or some other day fixed by the court. CERTIFIED COPY OF ORDER 1. Certified copy of order, mean, the final order of court, and having the seal and stamp of court. 2. Certified copy of useful, in case of execution of the order, or in case of Appeal. 3. Certified copy can be applied by making an application to the Registry of concerned Court, alongwith nominal fees for the order. 4. In case of "urgent requirement some additional amount has to be deposited. 5. "Urgent order" can be obtained within a week, and the normal might take 15 days. Appeal, Reference and Review When an order is passed against a party to the suit, it is not that it has no further remedy. Such party can further initiate the proceedings, by way of: 1. Appeal, 2. Reference, or 3. Review. In brief, the technicalities and difference between these are as follows: APPEAL APPEAL FROM ORIGINAL DECREES (Sec.96)- In general, an appeal lies from any decree passed by the court. (Sec 96) In cases, where the value of suit does not exceed Rs.10, 000 An appeal can be filed only on a question of law. (Sec.96) When a decree has been passed against the Defendant as "Ex-Parte", i.e. without his appearance, no appeal is allowed (Sec.96) When an appeal is headed by two or more judges, then the majority decision shall prevail. In case there is no majority, then the decree of lower court shall be confirmed. In case, the number of judges in the court, where appeal is filed is more, than the number of judges hearing the appeal, then if there is a dispute on a point of law, such dispute can be referred to one or more judges. PROCEDURE FOR APPEAL FROM ORIGINAL DECREES ( ORDER 41) 1. The appeal shall be filed in the form prescribed, singed by the appellant, alongwith a true certified copy of the order. 2. The appeal shall contain the grounds of objection under distinct heads, and such grounds shall be numbered consecutively. 3. If the appeal is against a decree for payment of money, the court may require the appellant to deposit the disputed amount or furnish any other security. 4. A ground/objection which has not been mentioned in the appeal, cannot be taken up for arguments, without the permission of court. 5. Similarly any point of act which was not taken up y the Appellant, in lower court, cannot be taken up in appeal lies only against only those points which have been decided by the court rightly or wrongly. Limitation 1. For every appeal, there is a limited period, within which appeal should be filed. Such a limitation is provided under the Limitation Act, 1963. 2. For appeal, in case of a decree passed by lower court in civil suit, the limitation is: i. Appeal to High Court- 90 days from the date of decree or order. ii. Appeal to any other court- 30 days from the date of Decree or order. 3. In case there are more than one plaintiffs or defendants, then any one of them can file on appeal against all of them respectively. 4. Merely because an appeal is filed, does not mean that the order or decree of lower court is stayed. In case of temporary stay of decree or order, it has to be specifically asked, and stay will operate only if court grants it. 5. In case of execution of decree, the court, which passed the decree, can itself stay the execution for time being on sufficient reasons shown. 6. The court may require the appellant to deposit some sort of security. 7. The appellate court may, on the day fixed for hearing the appellant dismiss the appeal, or issue notice to the opposite party to appear on next day. 8. If on the first day of hearing, appellate court issues summons to the opposite party, then: i. It shall fix a date for next hearing, and such date shall be published in the court house. ii. Notice shall also be sent to the lower court, whose decree or order has been appealed. iii. To appellant is required to file " Process Fee " which is very nominal in amount, and on such filing, the notice shall also be sent to opposite party. iv. In case of appeal, the one who files the appeal is known as appellant, and against whom it is filed, is known as "Respondent". I could have explained more if background is known to me. If background is made known in full then legal experts will be in position to understand correctly. Moreso, the background must be in brief. Please give me FIVE STAR if satisfied by my answers.
question markMr.Sagar
Dear Client, You need to show that with that money your wife can live a happy life and maintain your children well and you also need to show that if your wife earn a good amount. But in case where she shows that she need more maintenance and if court think that reason is sufficient then they will direct you to grant her maintenance for maintaining her and children as well. Thank You.
question markDivorce case
You can simply apply the Court to get her financials to be submitted before the Court although it is late now but you can try. If you are aware that she's working you can summon her employer through the Court to give statement before the Court and also your true certified copy of decree of maintenance passed by Thane Court can be presented before the Court. Although still it is allowed to claim maintenance under section 125 of CrPC but atleast her case credibility can be brought down. But please note even you have kept arrears pending towards your maintenance as ordered by Thane Court so this ground can lower your credibility also. So it would be better if you request the Court to direct your wife to submit her salary slips and her all the bank statements certified by Income Tax authorities along with affidavit and/or otherwise summon the employer. But see to that you have complete information available in this respect with possible evidence if you can find out any which legal way. Thank you. If you have found the answer helpful than please provide review and give ***** as appreciation.
question markDivorce Case Delayed Proceeding
Dear Client, Even if the Judge is absent, the staff working in the court can give you a new date for the hearing if the lawyers ask so, it is believed that the same has happened in your case. Thank you

Please enter the text



Send your queries to

[email protected]
Consult Family Lawyers from your City!
Post Your Matter
Post Your Matter to connect with the Lawyer online
Call 7604047602 for any assistance
Our Team
Lawyer Login
Be a Partner

Download the Lawyers App on

Vidhikarya App on Android Platform
Contact Details
[email protected]
No. 2, First Floor, Subharaj
Plot No. CE/1/C/19, Premises No. 18-0208,
Action Area- 1, New Town