All you need to know about FIR

Posted On : July 14, 2022
All you need to know about FIR
Listen to this article

Table of Contents

What is a FIR?

First Information Report (FIR) is a written document prepared by the police when they receive information about the commission of a cognizable offence. It is a report of information that reaches the police first in point of time and that is why it is called the First Information Report.


It is generally a complaint lodged with the police by the victim of a cognizable offence or by someone on his/her behalf.

Anyone can report the commission of a cognizable offence either orally or in writing to the police. Even a telephonic message can be treated as an FIR.


What is a cognizable or non-cognizable offence?

A cognizable offence is one in which the police may arrest a person without warrant. They are authorized to start investigation into a cognizable case on their own and do not require any orders from the court to do so.

A non-cognizable offence is an offence in which a police officer has no authority to arrest without warrant. The police cannot investigate such an offence without the court's permission.


Why is an FIR important?

An FIR is a very important document as it sets the process of criminal justice in motion. It is only after the FIR is registered in the police station that the police take up investigation of the case.

Anyone who knows about the commission of a cognizable offence can file an FIR. It is not necessary that only the victim of the crime should file an FIR. A police officer who comes to know about a cognizable offence can file an FIR himself/ herself.


You can file an FIR if:

*    You are the person against whom the offence has been committed;

*    You know yourself about an offence which has been committed;

*    You have seen the offence being committed.


The police may not investigate a complaint even if you file a FIR, when:

*    The case is not serious in nature;

*    The police feel that there is not enough ground to investigate.


However, the police must record the reasons for not conducting an investigation and in the latter case must also inform the complainant. —[Section 157, Criminal Procedure Code, 1973]


The procedure of filing an FIR is prescribed in Section 154 of the Criminal Procedure Code, 1973 

*    When information about the commission of a cognizable offence is given orally, the police must write it down.

*    It is your right as a person giving information or making a police complaint to demand that the information recorded by the police is read over to you.

*    Once the information has been recorded by the police, it must be signed by the person giving the information.

*    You should sign the report only after verifying that the information recorded by the police is as per the details given by you.

*    People who cannot read or write must put their left thumb impression on the document after being satisfied that it is a correct record.

*    Always ask for a copy of the FIR, if the police do not give it to you. It is your right to get it free of cost.

What should you mention in your FIR

*    Your name and address;

*    Date, time and location of the incident you are reporting;

*    The true facts of the incident as they occurred;

*    Names and descriptions of the persons involved in the incident, witnesses, if any. 


Things you should not do

*    Never file a false complaint or give wrong information to the police. You can be prosecuted under law for giving wrong information or for misleading the police. — [Section 203, Indian Penal Code 1860]

*     Never exaggerate or distort facts.

*     Never make vague or unclear statements.


What if the police refuse to register my FIR

*     You can meet the superintendent of Police or other higher officers like

Deputy Inspector General of Superintendent of Police is satisfied with your complaint; he shall either investigate the case himself or order an investigation to be made.

*     You can file a private complaint before the court having jurisdiction.

*     You can also make a complaint to the State Human Rights Commission

or the National Human Rights Commission if the police does nothing to enforce the law or does it in a biased and corrupt manner.

Written By:
Dr. Darshan Nagpure

Dr. Darshan Nagpure

Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markspouse issue 2 Response(s)
Hi, Since this is a false case of 498A, you can file a suit for defamation and mental cruelty on all the grounds you mentioned above. It can also be taken as a ground for divorce if you desire to seek so. If you like my answer, please give a good review.
question markMe baarbad ho gaya, meri 3 behane he kaise karunga me shadi 3 Response(s)
explain What is the legal issue involved in your case.
question markData entry -What should I do 1 Response(s)
Dear Sir, The above said company seems not genuine and also the legal notice is also not genuine. Not to respond to such legal notice and they cannot do any harm financially or otherwise to you.
question markhaving threatening emails 6 Response(s)
Dear client, u go to police station and file FIR against him, and also file complaint on cyber, any further query cont me
question markLegal Advice 5 Response(s)
Documents will have to be seen in this regard. In any case plz reply the above Notice in stern language as it seems something messy in such cases. Also have a thought about filing counter action against such fraudsters, if any.