Posted On : June 23, 2020
As the entire country was under lock down for the period 50+ days due to COVID-19. There were several issued faced by all people in this period. As such Real Estate Industry which was in slow pace for the past 2-3 yrs after Implementation of RERA & GST laws have further put the industry to a complete standstill with no progress & developments. Also considering the situation central Govt. has declared the Covid-19 Lock Down period as FORCE MAJEURE clause to protect the Real estate Industry also the period for completion mentioned under RERA have been automatically extended for a period of 6 months, where the project completion date was specified as on or afterwards 25th March 2020. But surprisingly the RERA of Rajasthan has extended the completion dates for all projects irrespective of date of completion, which included the completion dates even prior to Covid-19 lock down period, which is arbitrary
Listen to this article

Table of Contents

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic the Real estate sector in the country has suffered huge setback. Due to lockdown & after relaxation non-availability of labor has made the real estate sector to come to a standstill. There are thousands of Real estate projects and Lakhs of homebuyers are waiting for the possession of their dream homes. Even prior to the Covid-19 situation the Real Estate Industry has seen slow growth & progress. There were lakhs of home buyers in the country waiting for completion & handover of the projects. So the Central govt. has passed RERA act to regulate the real estate industry & to ensure accountability of the Real Estate Developers.

During the Lockdown situation in the country & on request of the CREDAI with Builders/Developers the Central Govt has declared the COVID-19 as FORCE MAJEURE situation. In view of the same all the real estate projects which were due for completion under RERA registration have got an automatic extension of all the projects which were due for completion on or after March 25th, 2020. Thus all the real estate projects have got extension of timeline of 6 months to cover the Covid-19 lockdown situation. But in an extreme case of Rajasthan RERA Authority has extended the time line for all the projects for a period of one year irrespective of the date of completion, which even included the projects which were due for completion prior to the Covid-19 pandemic & lockdown. thus there was no separate timeline for the Real estate projects which were not completed till 19th March 2020. Further Rajasthan RERA has even gone to an extent to impose an order that no recovery proceedings shall take place in this time for a period of one year. It literally means the projects that were not completed & which the developers were to pay as compensation under RERA laws were suspended unilaterally without authority of law.

In this regard a PIL was filed in Rajasthan Highcourt challenging the action of Rajasthan RERA Authority.

Written By:
Sharada H v

Sharada H v

Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markUnconditional Consent 1 Response(s)
Before signing such document, an agreement between you, old and new devloper must be signed where whatever terms and conditions has been mentioned in the previous devlopment agreement must be abided by the new devloper. or you can cancel the previous devlopment agreement and then enter into new devlopment agreement with the new devloper. I would advise you not sign any unconditional consent first you need to check that how the new devloper is planning to approach the construction.
question markNotice period for service 3 Response(s)
Dear Sir Please approach the following authority or similar authority in a state The Office Commissioner of Labour Karmika Bhavan, Dairy Circle, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore-29. 080-29753078 [email protected] Addresses of Labor Inspectors in Bengaluru in different locations https://karmikaspandana.karnataka.gov.in/page/Contact+Us/Labour+Inspector/en ======================================================================= Section 12 in The Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 12. Duties of conciliation officers.- (relevant section 12(2) of ID Act) (1) Where any industrial dispute exists or is apprehended, the conciliation officer may, or where the dispute relates to a public utility service and a notice under section 22 has been given, shall hold conciliation proceedings in the prescribed manner. (2) The conciliation officer shall, for the purpose of bringing about a settlement of the dispute, without delay, investigate the dispute and all matters affecting the merits and the right settlement thereof and may do all such things as he thinks fit for the purpose of inducing the parties to come to a fair and amicable settlement of the dispute. (3) If a settlement of the dispute or of any of the matters in dispute is arrived at in the course of the conciliation proceedings the conciliationofficer shall send a report thereof to the appropriate Government 1 or an officer authorised in this behalf by the appropriate Government] together with a memorandum of the settlement signed by the parties to the dispute. (4) If no such settlement is arrived at, the conciliation officer shall, as soon as practicable after the close of the investigation, send to the appropriate Government a full report setting forth the steps taken by him for ascertaining the facts and circumstances relating to the dispute and for bringing about a settlement thereof, together with a full statement of such facts and circumstances, and the reasons on account of which, in his opinion, a settlement could not be arrived at. (5) If, on a consideration of the report referred to in sub- section (4), the appropriate Government is satisfied that there is a case for reference to a Board, 2 Labour Court, Tribunal or National Tribunal,] it may make such reference. Where the appropriate Government does not make such a reference it shall record and communicate to the parties concerned its reasons therefor. (6) A report under this section shall be submitted within fourteen days of the commencement of the conciliation proceedings or within such shorter period as may be fixed by the appropriate Government: 3 Provided that, 4 subject to the approval of the conciliation officer,] the time for the submission of the report may be extended by such period as may be agreed upon in writing by all the parties to the dispute.]
question markDelay in Apartment delivery and Registration 1 Response(s)
Dear Client, In the given situation, when the housing complex is a registered project of RERA, then serving a legal notice to the Builder, file a complaint individually or collectively with other buyers who are equally affected by such deficiency against the Builder under Sec.31 of the Real Estate (Regulatory and Development) Act, 2016 before the Adjudicating Officer claiming compensation for the deficiency and delay in construction. Or else you can file a complaint against the Builder for deficiency in service and unfair trade practice before the Consumer Court under Sec.35 of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 claiming compensation for harassment and cost of litigation and/or file a civil suit for specific performance against the Builder/Developer before a Civil Court for appropriate relief in the matter. The complaint should be filed before the Consumer Court within two years from the date of the cause of action, It may be noted that you cannot raise your complaint/claim simultaneously before the Consumer Court and RERA for the same cause of action at a time. Reach out to an experienced Advocate handling Consumer cases and RERA cases for guidance and steps.
question markLegality of Departmental Disciplinary Action 1 Response(s)
If you were permitted properly by the Department then there should not be worry for any reason. Department would be restrained from taking any action due to doctrine of estoppel. Still u can contact through Vidhikarya for further elaboration as no complete n clear advice is encouraged at this juncture.
question markAppeal Suite 1 Response(s)
Dear Sir, Without looking into all the records it is not possible to give exact legal advise. However such stay applications may not be considered and High Court may insist for disposal of the case immediately since it is pending for long time. Rate me Five Star*