What is Live in Relationships and its benefits for Women

Posted On : October 30, 2019
What is  Live in Relationships  and its benefits for Women
Not having sexual inter course and when and then with a person who was other than a spouse is not amount to live in relationship. It is a relationship which a men and women live as a husband and wife without any matrimonial tie up.
Listen to this article

Table of Contents

A man and a woman not married, but having a live-in relationship is enough for the woman who is entitled to maintenance under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act. But merely living a live-in relationship is not entitled to get maintenance. The woman has to show that though there was no marriage but the relationship was in the nature of marriage. Having sexual relations with a woman frequently is not a live-in relationship. It is a nature of living as a husband and wife without undergoing a marriage. "Relationship in the nature of marriage" must fulfill the following ingredients:- (a) The couple must hold themselves out to society as being akin to spouses. (b) They must be of legal age to marry. (c) They must be otherwise qualified to enter into a legal marriage, including being unmarried. (d) They must have voluntarily cohabited and held themselves out to the world as being akin to spouses for a significant period of time. (e) The parties must have lived together in a 'shared household' as defined in Section 2(s) of the Act - Merely spending weekends together or a one night stand would not make it a 'domestic relationship'. (f) If a man has a 'keep' whom he maintains financially and uses mainly for sexual purpose and/or as a servant it would not, be a relationship in the nature of marriage.

A legally wedded wife or divorced wife can claim maintenance from husband under Section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code. A woman who was in a live-in relationship with a man but not legally wedded is not entitled to claim maintenance under Section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

However, if such a woman proves that she was in a domestic relationship with the man in this nature marriage would be entitled to claim maintenance under Section 20(3) of Protection of Domestic Violence At, 2005.

The Supreme Court of India has also confirmed this proposition in the Velusamy Vs Patchaiammal case. This is a progressive judgment and a great boon to the suppressed women.

Written By:
Satish Kumar

Satish Kumar


Recommended Free Legal Advices
question markproperty rights of women when she is in live in relationship 4 Response(s)
yes mam you can file complaint agaist them . you have right to property or maintenance from such person . file suit for maintenance under sectio 125 of crpc
question markDon't want to live with wife 5 Response(s)
Dear Sir, To be frank getting divorce by husband is very hard because all Indian Laws are sympathizing married woman. Just neglect her false allegations and continue your legal struggle patiently.
question markGuy cheating in the name of Relationship 2 Response(s)
Dear Sir, The description given by you is so lengthy, please make it short and re-submit, as experts have no time to spare as this is free and charity work.
question markComplaint 498(a) wrongly 2 Response(s)
It is necessary to know regarding the present status of the first marriage of that hospital staff as well as that Divorce matter. It is evident from your statement that at the time of second marriage,that hospital staff's first marriage subsists so the second marriage is null and void. Second husband is entitled to take steps as per Law and in such case that hospital staff who concealed the subsistence of her first marriage at the time of doing such second marriage, shall be punished with imprison­ment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine. Please further take note that until and unless all the relevant facts as aforesaid be known, proper legal remedy cannot be suggested and for that it is also necessary to scrutinize the complaints which she has been filed against the second husband's family.
question markHow to save myself from mental torture of cruel wife? 4 Response(s)
You can initiate a case of Divorce under the ground of cruelty and desertion by your wife and file the case in the District or Family Court under the guidance of a good divorce lawyer from Delhi. I case you don't want to file divorce case and want to bring her home to live with you then you can file the case of restitution of conjugal rights under Section 9 of HMA.