I was harrased by Pondicherry Police for Driving my friend's car alone and had to bribe them. I was harrased by Pondicherry Police for Driving my friend's car alone and had to bribe them.

2 years ago

I was harassed by Pondicherry police for driving my friend's car (Karnataka Registration). I had a valid Driving license but they still threatened me to take me to police station. Do I need to obtain an Bonafide Authorization Letter from my friend for driving his vechile or is there any MV ACT which allows me to drive his Vechile (I can carry its copy then).

If you had all the valid documents pertaining to the car to prove that it is not stolen, then driving a Karnataka registered vehicle on the streets of Pondicherry is not illegal. To avoid any hassles from the police, a bonafide authorisation letter would be beneficial.
If you like my answer, please rate me.

A.As per Section 197 of The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 it makes it punishable act if someone drives a car belonging to other without his consent or authorization. But the point is that if the court is satisfied that the drives has a consent then he will not be punished.
To avoid all this kind of issues next time onwards carry a one page authorization letter from your friend.

Section 197 in The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
197. Taking vehicle without authority.—
(1) Whoever takes and drives away any motor vehicle without having either the consent of the owner thereof or other lawful authority shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to three months, or with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees, or with both: Provided that no person shall be convicted under this section if the Court is satisfied that such person acted in the reasonable belief that he had lawful authority or in the reasonable belief that the owner would in the circumstances of the case have given his consent if he had been asked therefor.
(2) Whoever, unlawfully by force or threat of force or by any other form of intimidation, seizes or exercises control of a motor vehicle, shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to three months, or with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees, or with both.
(3) Whoever attempts to commit any of the acts referred to in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) in relation to any motor vehicle, or abets the commission of any such act, shall also be deemed to have committed an offence under sub-section (1) or, as the case may be, sub-section (2).

question iconVehicle ownership transfer
Dear Client, There are statutory forms to be signed both by the ex-owner and the present owner to process the transfer of ownership of the vehicle and change of address in the Certificate of Registrat...
question iconI was issued echallan wrongly
Dear Client, Sometimes, E-Challans are wrongfully issued if there are errors with the CCTV camera footage. In this case, you can use the Parivahan website’s Complaint Facility. You must provide proof...
question iconTraffic Challan Query
Dear Client, It appears that a traffic challan is generated for violation of traffic rules that show no vehicle number and the information often uploaded in the virtual platform is typically confusing...
question iconTraffic Challan with my DL and a Wrong CAR Number mentioned on it
Dear Client If visiting the traffic police office does not resolve the issue, you may need to file a formal complaint. Write a letter explaining the situation, stating that you were not driving the ca...
question iconDriving licence impounded
Dear Client Make sure that the three-month suspension period has elapsed. If it has, gather evidence of the completion of the suspension period, such as the payment receipt for the fine. Go back to th...