I was harrased by Pondicherry Police for Driving my friend's car alone and had to bribe them. I was harrased by Pondicherry Police for Driving my friend's car alone and had to bribe them.

I was harassed by Pondicherry police for driving my friend's car (Karnataka Registration). I had a valid Driving license but they still threatened me to take me to police station. Do I need to obtain an Bonafide Authorization Letter from my friend for driving his vechile or is there any MV ACT which allows me to drive his Vechile (I can carry its copy then).

If you had all the valid documents pertaining to the car to prove that it is not stolen, then driving a Karnataka registered vehicle on the streets of Pondicherry is not illegal. To avoid any hassles from the police, a bonafide authorisation letter would be beneficial.
If you like my answer, please rate me.

A.As per Section 197 of The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 it makes it punishable act if someone drives a car belonging to other without his consent or authorization. But the point is that if the court is satisfied that the drives has a consent then he will not be punished.
To avoid all this kind of issues next time onwards carry a one page authorization letter from your friend.

Section 197 in The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
197. Taking vehicle without authority.—
(1) Whoever takes and drives away any motor vehicle without having either the consent of the owner thereof or other lawful authority shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to three months, or with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees, or with both: Provided that no person shall be convicted under this section if the Court is satisfied that such person acted in the reasonable belief that he had lawful authority or in the reasonable belief that the owner would in the circumstances of the case have given his consent if he had been asked therefor.
(2) Whoever, unlawfully by force or threat of force or by any other form of intimidation, seizes or exercises control of a motor vehicle, shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to three months, or with fine which may extend to five hundred rupees, or with both.
(3) Whoever attempts to commit any of the acts referred to in sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) in relation to any motor vehicle, or abets the commission of any such act, shall also be deemed to have committed an offence under sub-section (1) or, as the case may be, sub-section (2).

question iconAlcohol dealing
Dear Client, Dealing in spurious liquor can invite imprisonment from 10 years to life term. The Gujarat law entails 7-10 years of jail to accused found dealing in alcohol, and death penalty if a victi...
question iconSold my 4 yrs old bike without RC
Dear client, The Motor Vehicle Act states that no person can drive a vehicle on Indian roads without a registration certificate. So, your sale is not legal if you are not transferring with RC. Better...
question iconEducational loan - get a education loan of 15 lakhs
Dear Client, There are some banks that can give you loan without the collateral. You can apply in them.
question iconMy father was lorry driver and he was dead in lorry due to heart attack. can i apply the claim for vehicle insurance?
Dear client, Sorry for your loss. The Delhi Consumer Commission has held a person who dies of cardiac arrest following a mishap is entitled to an accidental insurance claim. You might not be able to c...
question iconTraffic challan - I checked my challan online
Dear client, Kindly look into lok aadalat and check the grievance redessal mechanism of the online app.
Read Blogs on Transportation